Chapter 1 - Kicked out

“Wonderful day, don’t you think so father,” asked Luna. 

The noble looked at his youngest daughter who, out of his three daughters, looked most liked his deceased wife. He truly loved his daughters; so one day he decided to ask his daughters how much they loved him back. He started with the eldest, Layla, she told him that she loved him as much as life itself, He was very pleased with her answer. He then asked his second eldest, Leah. She told him that she loved him more than the world. Again, he was satisfied by his daughter’s response. 

Finally he asked his youngest. Luna, unlike her sisters, was humble, strong, and wise. She carefully thought of her answer and said, “I love you as much as meat loves salt,” the noble flinched. 

“As much as meat love salt! Then you don’t love me at all!” he yelled furiously.

“No, father, I truly lo-”

“Silence! You ungrateful child! I have shown you my love and this is how much you love me by mere grains of salt,” Luna’s father fumed. “Out! You are no longer welcomed in this household!” 

Obediently, Luna went to her room to pack as much as she could carry. She knew that she shouldn’t cry but a tear couldn’t hold itself back. “Miss Luna.” someone whispered. Luna looked to see Abigail enter her room. “Miss Luna, you are going to need this.” Luna opened the brown sack filled with men’s garments and long strips of cloth.

“Abi, what is this?” asked Luna.

“Miss Luna, you have treated me like a friend for many years and it saddens me to see you leave. This is the only thing I could do to repay you. I have heard around town how hard it is for a woman to find a decent job,” she looked around and continued, “so I suggest disguise yourself as a male, Miss.”

Luna closed her eyes. She knew that Abigail was right, and she also knew what she had to do if she had to conceal her feminine aspects. Luna had to cut her hair. She had not cut her hair since her mother died two years ago. Her sisters had blonde hair like their father so her black hair was her closest connection to her mother. 

“Miss Luna,” Abi called to snap Luna back to reality. “Here is a blade. I know it will be hard for you to cut your hair but this will give you a better lifestyle.”

“Yes. Thank you, Abi. I’ll always remember you,” said Luna. She hugged Abigail, changed into the male attire, and packed money, necessities, and her favorite dress. Luna ran to the back door and escaped to the river where she and her mother used to spend time together.