The Cannibal Hunger Within Helen Chapter 2/1

Ratty blankets covered my frail skinny body and the smell of coffee drifted to my nose, I gradually opened my eyes disappointed to be in bed and in the same house. I was having a marvelous dream, that I lived in a big white house with gardens and it had every flower you could think off, I had a normal family and a mother who always cooked and a dog named spot. But all that disappeared when I sat up and saw dad at the door dressed in his gear with Derek by his side.

'' And remember what I told you Derek" Mom said wiping her hands off on her apron which was already smeared with blood

"I know mom be careful I understand" Derek said eyes dull and looking at the ground

I felt a pain in my chest seeing my little brother go out for the first time hunting with dad; I got up slowly from the old cot and stretched a crack made its way up my spine

"I'll be back at night hun, watch the kid's; Derek and I will bring back a feast!" Dad smiled showing his rotting teeth than turned around and opened the door- Derek followed head still down.

I felt sorry for him going out it shouldn't be him going out but me I'm the oldest, I grabbed my stomach as a loud rumble escaped, the hunger pains were getting worse.

"Good morning baby, hungry? I just finished cooking the rest of the meat, I made buns and there's fresh coffee on the counter, I'm afraid that is the last pot of coffee too, just have on cup and one bun I only made enough for five of us. Mom smiled at me, I smiled meekly back well doing a quick look over at my sickly looking mother. 

"Thanks mom ill have it later though, maybe I'll just have a coffee than wash up"

I smiled at her unassumingly that I was thankful she cooked something finally, but I wasn't going to eat it I couldn't... I refused. Grabbing the cracked cup of the counter I made my way to the back room of the cabin where Ash was curled up on her cot blankets. I sat down on the bed and blew the hot steam off the cup and watched as the hot fog rolled over. I took a small sip and glanced at my sick sister, she was younger than me; already I could see her deteriorating slowly, her skin had gone paler and her hair thinned out more on the top. Mom said influenza, Dad said cancer; I didn't know what she had but all I knew is that she was going to die soon. Its been eleven years since Ash got sick, now only fifteen she looked like a corpse now rotting. 

Ash had stopped talking a long time ago now she just lay in her bed, sleeping and sometimes crying out in pain. But we had no medicine for her we but fed her what we could, other than that mom and dad wanted nothing to do with her. It was if she was a secret hidden in the back of the cabin in a small closet room. A dirty secret that mom and dad choose to ignore so I was the one who took after her most of the time, and sometimes it scared me to see her like that. Sometimes she'd open her pale blue eyes and look at me, I was sure I seen hate in those eyes. But for the most part I did what I could, the only thing I hated was changing her; she used to get up and go to the bathroom in the back but now she just laid in her bed and pissed herself on purpose, I could see it in her eyes when I scowled her and had to change her myself. It was if she was punishing me for something that I never did.

I took another sip of my coffee and gently smothered back her hair from her face, Ash was breathing in heavy raspy breaths, her lungs sounded like they were nothing but old dry paper withering away with each breath. Looking at her for the last time I got up and made my way to outside to the shower.

Hot water splashed on my body, gently washing away the dirt if only it would wash off the bruising and hurt. I wouldn't know how to react to something like this, a big change. After all how do you? It's your family and they're the ones who raised you, you live out in the middle of know where; with know where at all to go and all you could do is stay put. I reached for the towel on the rack and wrapped around myself before I could even get out a loud scream erupted from inside the cabin sending a jolt through my body.

" MY BABY!! OOOOH MY BABY!" mother screamed.

I ran in the cabin as fast as I could but I was too late, there laying on the ground was my sister Ash blue as ever and eyes duller then a December night. Tremors of guilt and sickness coursed through me, as I looked into the eyes of my dead sister.

"My baby... oh my baby!" mother walled hugging Ashes head as if she ever did give a shit.

I felt revolted with disgust looking at her faking as if she cared, I felt sick in the inside and out realizing that my sister just died...something I've been waiting for a long time I realized, I felt sick just thinking of it. Mother stopped crying and looked at me with such ghostly eyes I was taken aback of how she didn't even look like my mother she looked old with graying black hair and cold blue eyes.

"My darling, get the knifes ready... baby we have some work to do" mom said in almost a whisper.

I knew what she was going to do; I closed my eyes and only nodded feeling revolted. I could feel the bile in my stomach coming up and the morning coffee, quickly I ran to the bathroom and threw up the black sludge.