F I V E

Jameson walked into the office slowly, dreading it

Jameson walked into the office slowly, dreading it. Gemma looked up as she entered and offered her what Jameson could only assume was supposed to be a smile, but it came out as sort of a pained grin.

"Hello, James," Gemma said, sounding annoyed already.

"Hi mom," Jameson said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before settling into one of the old chairs across the desk from her. "Jackson said you wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah, but I got a feeling you already knew that since I've been leaving you messages for a week," Gemma said, her voice tense.

"Sorry. What's up?" Jameson asked, trying to stay as calm as she could.

"You bein' careful with these death threats?" Gemma asked, only sounding vaguely concerned.

"Yeah, I've got Ope."

"Where do you land on Isaac?" her mom asked, and she shrugged.

"Nowhere."

"What's going on with you and Ope these days?"

"I'm not sure that's really your business, Gemma."

"Don't give me that shit. Opie's sweet, Jameson. Don't fuck around with him."

"I won't."

"You love him?"

Gemma's question surprised her and for a few moments she wasn't sure what to say. She'd had no idea her mom knew how close she and Opie were, although she guessed she probably shouldn't be surprised. Gemma did kind of have a tendency to know everything, even things she hadn't been told out loud by anyone.

Jameson stared at her mother, not sure if she should tell her the truth or not. Finally, she decided she didn't really have much to lose if she did.

"Yeah, I do," she said simply, and Gemma nodded.

"Good. He loves you too and has for a long time. The way you two look at each other... don't let him go just because you're worried it will be a problem for the club. It won't be, and if it is it'll get worked through just like everything else does. Don't you let him slip through your fingers, Jameson," Gemma said, surprising Jameson yet again. It wasn't exactly common for her mother to speak to her so kindly.

"Okay, mom," Jameson said quietly, nodding.

"And be careful. Make sure you're watching your back with these threats," Gemma added, and Jameson nodded.

"Okay," she whispered, standing to turn and leave the office.

"Jameson." Her mother's voice was quiet, gentle, and she turned back to look at her again. "I love you."

"I love you too, mom," she said, turning back and heading out to where Opie was seated at one of the tables outside the garage. He looked at her curiously as she approached and she shot him a confused look.