(16) Pick on People Your Own Size

After supper was finished cooking, we called down Alek and Jace. They had a race down the stairs and Alek let Jace win. Jace bragged about his win for a good ten minutes.

I smiled at Alek, thanking him in my head. He nodded to show that he had heard me.

"So Jace, how was your day with Eliza and Jamie?" I asked, preparing his plate of food.

He launched into a story of everything they did. How Eliza wasn't very good at playing with toys but she was nice and Jamie was really good at making action noises. After he was done, he started to watch me and noticed that I hadn't yet eaten anything.

"Mommy are you going to eat?" He asked.

I nodded and smiled, picking up my fork and stabbing a piece of meat and then plopping it into my mouth. Unlike other times, he wasn't about to look away so I had no choice but to swallow it. Everyone was watching me now.

Nothing happened. I swallowed the food and gulped a quick drink of my water and nothing happened. It didn't taste very good and it made me sort of thirsty for blood to eat food. I remember Kiera telling me that I could get some energy from human food if I had to.

Jace was clearly satisfied and continued eating. Not taking any chances, I continued eating as well. Alek was sneaking his under the table but Theo and Kiera were both eating, as far as I could tell. 

Maybe I should get a dog. And then I could just sneak my food to him when Jace wasn't looking. Jace would love to have a puppy but I wasn't sure that I would have time for it.

After dinner, Jace went back up to his room and Theo and Kiera helped me clean up. When the clean up was done all except for the dishes, I shooed them, telling them that I could handle it. I was hoping that maybe Kiera would take Theo home since he didn't have a car and they could have some alone time.

After they had gone, Alek walked into the kitchen. He came up behind me, right behind me, and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "I can't believe you ate that nasty stuff."

I turned, punching him in the shoulder. "Are you calling my cooking nasty?" I gasped.

He snickered and shook his head, eyes wide and innocent. "That's what I thought."

We both laughed and I was surprised to realize how easy it was to be around him now. When he wasn't being an insufferable asshole. He caught my hand as I went to hit his shoulder again playfully and I realized how close to me he was.

I stared at him, realizing again how gorgeous his eyes were. He leaned in a little more and our noses were practically touching. I realized what he was going to do and I pulled my hand out of his, turning around and breaking the spell.

I continued to wash the dishes, Alek didn't move from behind me for a minute. When he did, I heard him take a step back. "I should probably go, I think Eliza and Jamie are expecting me home tonight."

I nodded without turning and listened to him leave.

It was so confusing. One mintue, he was being a jerk and the next he was practically kissing me. And I would be lying if I said I didn't want him to kiss me, although I was pretty sure that was just because of our bond or whatever.

When the dishes were done, I headed upstairs to spend some time with Jace before he went to bed.

~

High school is such a waste of time. Why I had decided to return to school after my change, I didn't know. Theo and I had science this period and we were both in a very poor mood. I wasn't sure what his problem was, but I was in such a mood that I didn't care to ask.