(6) Hunger Pangs

COMMENT

VOTE

ENJOY

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next morning, when I finally dragged myself out of bed and into Jace’s room, I found that he was already awake and dressed.

His blue t-shirt was on backwards and his favourite tan shorts were on inside out. I laughed and walked over to help him, my movements sluggish. Jace didn't usually have trouble getting dressed but some days he just threw his outfits on, without paying much attention.

Sleeping had given me some energy, but not a lot. And I had woken up extremely groggy.

He picked up on it immediately, as I pulled his shirt over his head. “Are you okay, mommy?”

I smiled at him. “I’m fine, just a little tired. Now, let me fix your pants and then we can go downstairs and have breakfast before I take you to school.”

Jace immediately started shaking his head furiously. “It’s Saturday. I get to play with my toys today.”

Although I had forgotten which day it was, I couldn’t help but laugh at Jace. He was so serious, his face set in that stare of his, making sure he was going to get his way. Jace always got his way. He had a million dollar pout and the world’s most stubborn attitude.

I fixed Jace’s clothing and made him put a pair of socks on and then we went downstairs. All Jace wanted was a bowl of cereal so I got that for him. I, of course, I wasn’t hungry for human food at all. Jace, however, smelled absolutely delicious.

I could practically see the blood that flowed through his veins in his neck and wrists. His skin was pale so it took on a translucent quality, letting me see right through it. I could feel his body heat, even from all the way across the kitchen.

I closed my eyes, biting down my lip. It split and I tasted blood but it wasn’t the blood I wanted.

Deep breath. This is Jace.

As fast I could, I grabbed my cell phone. I couldn’t trust myself not to hurt Jace.

“Hello, Genesis.” A girl answered right away.

“Hey, Kiera.” I sighed, pressing my eyes tighter. “I hope now is a good time, because I need a little help.”

“Babysitting? You want me to come there?”

“I need you to come pick up Jace and take him out for the day. I don’t care what you do, just take him to zoo or something.”

Kiera was quiet for a minute. “I’ll be right over!” Her voice was cheery and excited. Clearly, she had a bubbly personality.

I opened my eyes and turned towards Jace, looking just above his head instead of at him. “Wanna go play with Kiera for a while today?” I asked, trying to smile as normally as possible.

Jace’s face lit up and he immediately jumped up. “I’ll go get my shoes!” He started to run up the stairs, only to stop and run back down. He took one last bite of cereal before taking off up the stairs again.

I laughed, slightly breathless from the amount of energy that even took me. I braced myself on the counter, waiting for Jace to come back down. When he did, he was hopping precariously down the stairs, trying not to trip on his laces.

“Come here, bud.” I said, reaching down for his feet. He held them up for me, keeping his balance on his other foot perfectly. I tied his shoes tight and then wrapped my arm around his shoulder.