Chapter Five//Artist & Admirer

~Ethan Suave~

On Friday night, I developed a well-planned blueprint of my new tactics. Mr. Nice Guy did not seem to appeal to Elle's headstrong attributes, so I conceptualized a new plot that I was one hundred percent sure would prove to be successful. I noticed that she was extremely fascinated with my secret art talent and love for poetry, and both became imperative assets in my strategy. This newly found leverage was the new pathway to Elle's heart--I was sure of it.

 My main intentions of bringing her to my house on Saturday was to get her so attached to me to the extent where all of her thoughts and actions somehow always circled around me. When Elle would read, she would think of me dictating poetry to her. When Elle would write, she would think of my lovely sketches. When Elle would sit alone, she would imagine me being by her side.

There came a catch to my plan; bringing Elle to my house would risk and increase the chances of her confronting Devon, who was the main problem. Although Devon was my brother, he was competition at that moment and that meant bad news for me.

"You must be Elle," Devon managed to scratchily utter through his devilish smirk. "It's a pleasure meeting you."

My eyes darted back and forth from Devon to Elle. Relaxing my tense muscles, I inhaled and exhaled, unwilling to let Devon intimidate me.

It was most likely their first encounter with each other, and I was persistent to make it their last, although I knew it was unavoidable. Tutoring Elle, though, gave me a huge advantage against Devon, so I felt as though there was nothing to anguish or stress about. As of that moment, she was all mine.

"H-Hi," she stuttered through her sticky throat. Oh no. Don't tell me that the cat got your tongue? "And you must be Devon," she mimicked, regaining her stubbornness and putting her guard back up. There we go. That's what I want to see. Don't let your frontiers fall when you're with Devon, Elle.

He stifled a laugh out, motioning for us to cross the threshold. "Don't be shy, Elle. Come on in," he welcomed. Elle hesitantly entered first, suspiciously searching the house for any tricks and traps. On my way inside, Devon stopped me and harshly whispered, "Better watch out for her," in my ear. Oh yeah? I thought. Try me.

"Elle," my mother's cheery voice echoed from the kitchen. She stood at the doorway that led into the sugary-smelling kitchen, leaning in to give Elle a welcoming embrace. "I was told earlier that you would be here today. How are you, darling?" Mom wondered, pulling away and gleaming.

She smiled, "I'm fine, Mrs. Suave--I mean Susie. How are you?" Elle's well-mannered behavior seemed to had found its way to my mother's good side, although it was rather difficult for Mom to not like anybody. My mother was so carefree and forgiving that even meeting the mailman made her day.

"That's wonderful, Elle! I'm lovely, thank you. Come, come. Why don't you bake some cupcakes with me?" Mom insisted, tugging her into the kitchen. Devon and I glance at each other, and I knew at that moment that we had the same thoughts floating through our mind. I cannot let Mom take Elle away from me. I need to win, I need to beat him. 

~Elle Summerall~

Devon and Ethan quickly reacted. "Mom," Ethan began, "Elle and I were supposed to hang out today. Maybe you can bake cupcakes later?"

Laughing, she shooed, "Oh quit your whining. You guys can do whatever you want later, but you have to do me a favor right now. Can you please pick up your little sister from her ballet class? It should be over in a few." Ethan was silenced. He listened his mother, nodded, and exited out of the front door, dragging Devon along with him, while Devon resisted. I had never seen Ethan be so obedient.