50: Vanished

Varric and Sera checked the passageway where Fenris had vanished, following the path twenty feet past the top of the ladder. "Bloody stupid, paranoid shites." Sera grumbled, walking slow along the right side of the tunnel. "If there's anything hidden here it's damn impressive cuz I can't see anything what looks like a trap."

"Varric?" Dorian called, trying and failing, to hide the worry in his voice. "Please tell me you've found something."

Varric grunted and looked back to where Dorian and Cullen waited for them. "I found something. But it's not what you're hoping for." Varric said, his voice strained.

Dorian scowled as he joined him in the passage. "What? What have you found?"

"I think it might be blood."

Dorian felt all the blood rush out of his head and a wave of dizziness washed over him. "Blood? Where?"

Cullen and Sera joined them, each looking where the dwarf was pointing. "Damn." Sera swore.

"That's not encouraging."

"Not encouraging?" Dorian was near hysterical. "Where did the blood come from? We don't even know it's his! Even if it is,it doesn't explain how he vanished or where!"

Cullen met Dorian's eyes and clapped a hand to his shoulder. "I know this is hard Dorian but we need you to stay calm. You're our expert here. Is there a spell you know of these Venatori could have used to do this?"

Dorian took a deep breath but the tension didn't leave his shoulders. "I don't know. I'm sure there are, but considering they use blood magic to do it, I have no idea what they might be. Invisibility is possible. Or a don't see me spell which is similar. Add silence and a barrier and we may have walked right past them while they went in the opposite direction."

"Shit Sparkler." Varric sighed.

"Is there any way you can detect what magic might have been used? I realize a spot of blood isn't much of a clue, but I think it's all we're going to find."

Dorian put a hand to his forehead, massaging his temples. "I hate this." He murmured. "But yes it can be done. I'll need an hour back at camp to work out the details. It's normally an easy spell but I've never seen this magic before, it's more advanced, which means I have to assume any residue will also be hard to detect."

"Great." Sera growled. "I was really looking forward to stabbing them with arrows."

Varric sighed loudly, drawing their attention. "Maker's breath... I can't believe I'm going to say this, but can we make use of the blood to... I dunno, track the person it came from?"

Dorian gaped at the dwarf as though he'd grown two heads. "Blood magic? Have you lost your mind?"

"Of course not! But can we use it or not? You know, like a phylactery."

Dorian's mouth moved as though to say something, but nothing came so he resorted to glaring when Cullen cleared his throat. "Um. It might be possible. Though it's a very small chance given the blood is dried and contaminated."

"Shite! Shite! Shite! Have you all been possessed? I can't believe I'm the only one agreeing with sparkle fingers!" Sera shrieked.

Dorian crossed his arms, a scowl on his face. "Please enlighten us Commander. Are you seriously condoning using blood magic? And what do you mean it might work?"

Cullen blushed and stared intently at his boots. "I've was involved in the procedure for making phylacteries when I was in the Circle. Though that was much simpler than what's needed here."

"Blood magic. Between that and the use of lyrium to control Templars... " Dorian growled, searching his pockets for an empty vial. "The more I hear about the Southern Chantry's, the more I wonder why your mages didn't rebel sooner." Bending down to the spots of blood on the ground, he used the vial like a spoon to ease as many drops as he could into it. Stoppering the end, he stood, shoving the vial in his pocket. "Let's go." He growled, heading back to camp.

----xxx----

"I don't think this is usable." Dorian muttered, glaring at the vial. "There's too much dirt."

"Is there any way you can clean it without dilution?" Cullen asked, watching Dorian's jaw clench. "Perhaps with lyrium or maybe a reverse re-gen spell? Something using necromancy perhaps?"

Dorian turned his angry glare on Cullen. "Necromancy is used on the dead Commander. Not blood."

"I understand how you're feeling Dorian. I'm only trying to help."

Dorian's eyes were cold. "How can you possibly understand? My... my best friend, my... my amatus is in the hands of the most dangerous, most ruthless mages from Tevinter! You can't possibly understand what I'm feeling."

Cullen sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help you focus. We'll find him Dorian, I know we will."

Dorian's lower lip trembled as he broke eye contact with him. "I know you are... it's just, the longer he's missing..."

Cullen put a hand to Dorian's shoulder, turning him to meet his eyes. "Don't go there Dorian. If you think the blood we found isn't enough, leave it and work on your other spell. I'll see if I can come up with something to clean up the sample."

Dorian frowned. "I'm not sure I understand how you can accomplish that if I can't, but thank you. Give me a half hour to work out my spell and we'll head back."

Dorian moved to the edge of camp, journal in hand as he madly scribbled numbers and symbols on the page. Cullen took up the vial, staring at the contents while he called up memories of creating phylacteries in the Circle.

"Ever feel like a third wheel?" Sera grumbled where she sat cross-legged at the campfire.

Varric chuckled though he didn't sound happy. "All the time, but never more than when I was following Hawke around Kirkwall."

"Bet there were lots of opportunities to use arrows in that shit-hole."

"More than I liked most days. Though dealing with Qunari and criminals in Kirkwall was a lot simpler than holes in the sky and crazy undead Magisters."

"Be glad when this is done. Need things to be normal again." Sera murmured, her voice dropping to a whisper. "You think grumpy is okay?" She asked, her eyes flicking to Dorian and back to Varric.

Varric met her eyes a moment before moving on to where Dorian was deep in concentration. "Honestly? I don't know." He whispered, his voice troubled. "Normally he can take care of himself, but these are Tevinter mages. I'm not sure he's capable of separating his past while surrounded by those who see him as a slave."

"Shit." Sera swore. "Thought you'd have something more cheery to say."

"Sorry Buttercup. Just don't have the energy right now."

"Alright. I think I've got it." Dorian announced, joining them. "Let's go."

"Bout time." Sera muttered, getting to her feet.

Dorian headed out, Cullen falling in at his side while Varric and Sera followed. "Get anything useful out of staring at that vial?" Dorian asked Cullen.

"Perhaps. I won't know for certain until we have a direction to head in." Cullen replied.

Dorian grunted. "Did you solve the problem then?"

"As I said, perhaps."