27. Regrets

Dorian woke to a pounding headache and skin chilled from dried sweat. He couldn't remember much of anything until he swung his legs over the side of the bed and felt something hard digging into his palm.

Amulet. Fenris. Bull. Maker, what had he said? He cursed a string of Tevene that would make a brothel owner blush as he dressed. In that moment he didn't much care about appearances, he had no memory of what he'd said, but the feeling in his gut told him it hadn't been good.

It was still early so he headed to the kitchen and grabbed food enough for two, then hurried back to knock at the elf's door. A muffled groan answered and he stepped into the dim light of the room, a tray balanced in one hand.

Fenris was still half asleep, his face buried in a pillow, his bedsheet twisted around his body. He groaned at the sound of Dorian moving about the room and after another minute, cracked an eye open and stared at him.

"Dorian?"

"Ah you're awake!" He said cheerfully, setting out plates while Fenris sat up.

"What are you doing?"

"I've brought you breakfast."

"I can see that." He said, getting to his feet and crossing to where Dorian stood. "I meant why are you here? After last night..."

"Yes, about that. I came to apologize. I believe I behaved like an ass and I've brought you breakfast as a peace offering."

"You believe? You don't remember?" Fenris frowned.

Dorian blushed crimson. "Not really. I'm sorry about that as well. I want to make it up to you if I can. I'll understand if that's not an option though."

"Just like that?"

Dorian's smile faltered. "No, but I don't know what I said. It might be unforgivable in which case this apology is grossly inadequate."

Fenris felt pain lance his heart and he took hold of the mage and kissed him, hard. Dorian whimpered against his lips and Fenris deepened the kiss, crushing the mage to him. He stepped back a moment later, his hands holding Dorian close to see tears in his eyes.

"I am worse than a bride's mother." Dorian whispered.

Fenris chuckled and hugged him again. "You're not Dorian. Thank you for breakfast. Shall we eat?"

"I... yes. Let's eat."

They ate in silence a few minutes, Dorian shifting in his seat with nervous energy.

"Mage, if you have something to say, spit it out. You're going to wear a hole in your breeches."

"Pure speculation." Dorian retorted. "But yes, I wanted to thank you again for getting back my amulet. It means a lot to me."

"I was glad to help but why did you not tell me you sold it? I lived there Dorian, I know it's importance."

"When I... learned of my father's plans for me I was forced to run. I didn't have much time to pack. Once I reached the Free Marches, I needed supplies and provisions more than I needed the amulet, so I sold it."

Fenris paused in his eating to stare at him. "You never said the situation with your father was that serious."

"I don't like thinking about it, much less talk about it." Dorian retorted. "I apologize, that came out more harsh than I intended."

"Don't apologize. Tell me what happened Dorian, I want to know."

"Can we finish breakfast first? I'd like to not lose my appetite."