19 - Carter

Cathy seemed a little distracted. Her eyes wouldn’t make proper eye contact with neither Max nor Carter. Carter cleared his throat to grab her attention, raising the champagne glass to make a toast to her.

“To Cathy, may she get all that she desires.”

“Yes, to Cathy” Max smiled and then everyone engaged with their own glasses of alcohol they had and got busy eating.

 Dinner was soon over. The servants cleared the dining room and Max headed down to the pool room. The boat was turning to move towards the deck. This left Cathy and Carter alone on the top deck, watching the star lit sky. Cathy seemed to seek answers from the sky as she peered beautifully from the edge of the boats railing and stared distantly.

I brought her some warm coffee as a way of breaking some ice and to talk to her. Her beautiful figure and her long hair made me wonder if such beautiful women truly existed.

“Hey there”

“Hey” Cathy replied, sweetly accepting the coffee Carter offered. “Beautiful night?” she smiled looking towards the sky.

“Not as beautiful as you.”

“What? That’s the cheesiest line I’ve ever heard.” Cathy laughed.

“It can’t get anymore cheesier, can it?”

“Maybe it can” Cathy turned around to face Carter.

“And how is that?” He asked.

“You could confess already whatever it is that you are thinking about. It’s the most perfect night, we are on such an amazing boat and you have all the time in the world at this moment to talk about what’s going on between us.”

“And what is it that is going on between us?” Carter raised an eyebrow.

“Do you feel excited when you see me? Like it’s the best feeling in the entire world. Like it feels like we belong together? That rush of emotions, that feeling of ‘high’ that no amount of alcohol could give you...?”

“That feeling like no man could hold you like I can, that no one could take care of you as much as me. That feeling that I need to see you happy and if you aren’t then my existence doesn’t make sense. Cathy…”

“I know, I know, I feel the same” Cathy leaned in to get closer to Carter.

“Is that true?” Max interrupted.

“Max!” Cathy turned to look at him.

“Is it true brother?” Max smiled annoyed at Carter.

“I guess so.” Carter replied.

“I need to get out of this boat.”

Cathy

Things got awkward from then on. The SS Bane was forced to take a sudden retreat back to the bay. Cathy sat alone over the wooden flooring of the deck. Swinging her feet freely that were hanging from the edge, she stared at the glaring stars above her. Carter was busy trying to talk to Max, trying to make him listen to him but Max didn’t care. Max waited to stall out of the boat and into his car and he did exactly that once the boat stopped and the captain parked.

Cathy didn’t make a move. She watched Max get into his car and drive off violently right from where she was seated. She looked towards Carter who looked disappointed at himself and frowned.

“I better head home then” She sighed getting up and brushing her clothes.

“I think I love you.” Carter turned to look at her, scared. “You love me?” Cathy began to smile. “Me? I’m a nut case.” She laughed.

“I know, I guess that’s what I love you about you. You’re not like other women.” He stated. “Isn’t that always the reason?” Cathy smirked. “Maybe, but I feel like you can change my life.”

“Maybe…” Cathy stretched, “You’ve had too much to drink. Could you drop me home?” She insisted.

“Ofcourse” Carter replied. He helped her get off the boat and welcomed her to sit in her car. They drove off away from the port and towards the city where Cathy lived. The night was perfect, the moment was perfect and the two people sitting next to each other were perfect for one another but Cathy did not realize that. All she knew was that she might have just destroyed a brothers bond and that she should be giving Carter some space to think straight.

It was obvious she loved him. She was crazy about him but she also knew this wasn’t the right time to mention it. Carter stopped the car near the entrance of her building and sat still waiting for her to say something.

Cathy turned to look at him. “I’m going to kiss you on your cheek and say goodnight. I want you to go home and talk to your brother and sort things out with him. Once that’s done we both will deal with our situation. Alright?” Cathy smiled.

“Alright” Carter surrendered. Cathy did what she had said she would do and then got out of the car and walked into her apartment. 

-------------

I know its short. I'm going to be more regular now :) i promise!