13 - Carter

13

Carter

A tall fat man, with brown hair and similarly coloured eyes sat next to a sweet, pretty looking lady who smiled often during awkward silences.

Carter crossed his legs and leaned back, placing one arm over the other, trying to look confident as he sat in front of Cathy’s parents consciously making an attempt to look polite and approachable.

The white walls and homely lamps around him made the living room look smaller than it originally was. Josh let out an awkward sigh as he sat on the arm of the sofa where Carter was sitting.

“So, how is your farther? We are very sorry we couldn’t make it for the fundraiser” Miss Anderson smiled again.

“That’s alright and my father is doing fine, I think he should be expanding his business soon and I would be probably doing the same with mine” Carter withheld the information he was about to reveal about the opening of a new restaurant.

“Oh that’s wonderful, son. We sure would like to know more about it” Mr Anderson spoke.

“Maybe another time dad, how about we start dinner?” Cathy rushed in to save Carter from struggling with the correct words to settle the matter himself but the girl he really liked probably saved the day for him.

“Alright, I hope you like what the Anderson’s have made for you” Cathy’s father got up and then helped his wife get to her feet.

Cathy rolled her eyes and grabbed Carters arm and started to walk with him to kitchen where they usually would sit and eat dinner.

Cathy did not realise that her gesture had surprised Carter. He looked over his shoulders to look over the area where Cathy had wrapped her hands around his, like she was his girlfriend. He smiled at the thought of it and ignored the stammering feeling of stopping Cathy from entering the kitchen and giving her a quick kiss on her lip. He also liked what she had worn. A bage long sweater and some skinny white shorts, revealed her beautiful curvy hips that he realised he hadn’t notice very well before.

“So, don’t be too overwhelmed with the set up and I know we don’t have an eating room like you but the food will be amazing” Cathy whispered.

“It’s called a dining room, not an eating room and I can bet on that the food on your table would be amazing since it smells so good”

“Okay” Cathy smiled and quickly detached from Carters arm and took a seat next to her brother.

Josh had his suspicion. He watched his sister’s eyes sparkle whenever she would look at Carter and talk to him. Carter had signs of the ‘love stuck’ emotion on his face most of the time and when Cathy had held his arm he knew something was definitely up between them.

“Why don’t you sit next to Carter, sis? After all he is your guest” Josh teased.

“Shut up Josh, I haven’t spent time with you since ages so I sat next to you. Carter is fine next to mom” Cathy elbowed her brother.

“Alright, alright, don’t get so violent about it” Josh rubbed his gut.

“We’ve got duck and salad for starters and then for the main meal we have chicken pot and bread with mash potatoes. Last but not the least we have chocolate cake and orange soufflé for dessert.” Mrs Anderson smiled as the she served the dishes one by one on the heavily china plated table which surprisingly had enough place for everything that was made from scratch”

“Wow Mrs Anderson, if only my mother could cook like you, I’d be the chubbiest man on the planet. How can you make such wonderful stuff?” Carter flashed one of his brilliant smiles. Underneath the table Cathy hit his boot and Carter looked confused towards her.