Chapter 8~ Who Did It?

~A/N~ I finally uploaded! Remember! 10 votes for next chapter!

Chapter 8~ Who Did It?

“What? No! No- it can’t be! I just saw her a few hours ago! How?” I splutter, unbelieving. “We have to wait for the coroner’s report before we know for sure, but from the blood and bruises, it appears she was beaten to death,” the peacekeeper says formally. Beaten? I mean sure, I didn’t like the girl, but being beaten to death, seems a little harsh, even for her. She deserved punishment, but not that. Although, a small, sick part of me is glad she is gone, glad she suffered for what she did. No, that’s not you, forget that. I try to form a complete sentence, “Where is Cato?” I manage. “He was out searching for you,” my mom says. “I’ll go call him back,” my dad offers, and heads inside the house. “We’ll be on our way now, we’ll keep you updated with any progress on the case,” the peacekeeper says. They both give us curt nods, and vanish into the night.

An hour later, my parents are in the kitchen, and Cato and I are sitting on the couch, talking. We’re both trying to avoid the elephant in the room, Ria’s death. I’ve noticed something about him though. He is acting shifty, keeps glancing at the door. He brushes it off when I ask him about it. It’s almost like he’s guilty about something. “Are you okay?” I inquire. “I’m fine,” he snaps. I shrink back, he’s never gotten angry with me. He sighs, “I’m sorry, Clove, it’s just been a long night, I think I’m gonna go, okay?” he says. I walk him to the door. He leans in for a kiss before he goes, but I still haven’t forgiven him, so I turn my head, and his kiss lands on my cheek. His face darkens, and he spins and disappears into the darkness. He didn’t even say goodbye.

I go to bed with my head spinning. Who killed Ria? Why? Why was Cato acting so strange? All of these thoughts and more keep me up for most of the night, until I finally drift off.

The next morning, I get ready for training, and then head down the path. When I get in the building, I immediately know something is wrong. I grab my sheath of knives, and then enter the gym. That’s when I see the Peacekeepers. About a dozen of them, surrounding someone, but I can’t see who it is. Coach is standing off to the side, with a worried expression on his face. I go over to him, “What’s going on? What are they doing here?” I ask. He sighs and gives me a pitying look, “They found out who killed Ria, there were fingerprints on the body.” “Well? Who did it?” Coach doesn’t even get the chance to answer. The mass of Peacekeepers is moving, with a gap in the middle of them, where the prisoner is. I gasp, in utter shock. Cato. He’s being led away in handcuffs. He gives me a last pleading look, before he is gone.

~A/N~ Sorry it's short! Especialy after such a long wait! I wrote 5 chapters out, and then my computer crashed, and I lost them, so I'm redoing them today, uploads will be a bit later than expected!

10 Votes for next chapter! Remember to vote and comment and share with your friends! Entered in Watty Awards! Love ya'll! ~Jordy