The Pain

CHAPTER FOUR

I must be dead, Evelyn thought dimly. That is the only possible solution she could come up with to explain how warm and light she felt. She sighed in content, “I think she’s waking up” someone said quietly. Angels? Evelyn grimaced she didn’t expect there to be angels, would they judge her for her sins? A warm hand tenderly stroked her forehead and the familiar electrical sparks made Evelyn struggle for breath and bolt upwards. She remembered. She remembered Damon saving her and her head hurting but after that... nothing. She glanced around the room and took in the two unfamiliar faces. What did they want? Did James send them oh god oh god. Her eyes twitched and her mouth felt dry and grimy. She calculated how far it would take her to leap for the door but it didn’t seem possible. One of the faces stepped closer as if too touch her and Evelyn sobbed quietly and pushed into the end of the bed, trying to put as much distance as possible between her and the unknown man. “It’s alright; they aren’t going to hurt you. I swear” A memorable voice murmured in her ear. Damon! She turned and there he was, right beside her. Evelyn gasped in relief and threw her arms around his neck, trying to hide behind him. “sssh it’s ok, it’s alright” he reassured her, “This is my mum, Sarah” Damon pointed to the women behind him. Her long dark hair was tied in a tight pony tale and she had the same friendly eyes, Sarah smiled gently at her. Evelyn blushed but didn’t remove her arms from Damon’s neck. He made her feel safe. “And this is my idiotic friend Sam” The tall, lanky boy waved and grinned apologetically.  Evelyn smiled slowly at him, he seemed okay and she suddenly felt ashamed at the way she reacted early. “I’m sorry” she said so quietly that she doubted he heard her, but he nodded his head and said “It’s fine dude, no worries I didn’t mean to make you jump anyway cutie” Evelyn felt Damon bristle at Sam’s words and wondered whether there was a deeper meaning behind them, but before she could think in any more detail, a piercing pain shattered through her body and she shuddered.

Damon felt her body shiver against his and he bit his lip trying to with hold a groan. He knew she had no idea the effect she had on him, just through the brief contact of skin to skin, Damon’s heart was beating erratically. “ow” she whispered and Damon’s eyes widened in panic “ Are you okay? What’s wrong? Does your head hurt?” He demanded pulling away slightly to examine her. Evelyn’s eyes where pinched shut and her mouth was a hard line, “My head is pounding” she explained and Damon looked at his mum, dread heaving through his body. “Let me have a look at her” Sarah asked gently but Evelyn just tightened her grip around Damon. He shook his head slowly and mouthed “leave her be” Sarah frowned but stepped back. “You have slight concussion so here’s pain killers they should dampen the pain a little bit, but do you want to have a shower? I can get you some new clothes..” Sarah trailed off at the end, looking embarrassed and Evelyn’s eyebrows knotted in confusion but then she glanced down at her completely see through white dress and the blood rushed to her cheeks. Damon politely looked away but he could help seeing how perfect she was. Evelyn stuttered in humiliation but eventually nodded. “shoo” Sarah waved her hands at the boys “let the girl get undresses in peace” Damon glanced at Evelyn for confirmation and she smiled encouragingly at him.  He turned and dragged Sam out of the room, shutting the door softly behind him. Damon trudged down to the kitchen and collapsed on one of the chairs, Sam followed his lead. After a moment of silence Sam sighed “What happened to her Damon? She’s covered in bruises and did you see the way she flinched away from me? I felt like a monster or something” Sam fixed Damon with a glare and He knew Sam would stop asking until he told him. “To be honest have no idea but she was...” He paused. He didn’t know if it his place too spill Evelyn’s story to Sam, wouldn’t she be hurt that he betrayed her trust? He frowned; they barely knew each other so why was he feeling so protective over her? “She was what?” Sam prompted. “Nothing” Damon replied curtly “it not my place to say ok.” Sam pouted but didn’t object. Damon rubbed his eyes, trying to get the image of Evelyn out of his head. But deep down he knew, it was burned into his mind and would never budge.