Chapter 9 - Firewood, raindrops and fireflies.

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" - Crowfoot.

When we got to the edge of the woods, I took a deep breath, before lighting my hands and leading the way. James was still by my side and at one point, I felt him brush up against me.

“That’s amazing,” he breathed.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“I had obviously heard about your gifts, but seeing you do that is different to what I had imagined. It’s beautiful.”

“Nothing’s ever what you expect.”

“I know. Nothing and nobody.”

I was about to reply when Christian walked over.

“We’re here,” he said, kissing me lightly on the cheek. I could feel James’ stare behind me as Christian took my hand and pulled me through the trees to the top of the small hill overlooking the creek.

I gasped. “Christian, Ivy, James. Look at this.”

Hundreds of fireflies were darting across the sky above us like shooting stars, setting the blank, dark canvas above us ablaze with warmth and enchantment.

“Now this is amazing,” I said to James as he stood beside me, rapt in awe.

“Can’t you see? You’re just like them. Bright, majestic and beautiful.”

I took his hand in my free one, forgetting about my scar.

I pulled it away and pulled my other hand free from Christian’s. “I’m so sorry James, I completely forgot about that.”

“Was that Aria?”

I nodded. “Needless to say, it’s a bad memory.”

“Are you all right?” Christian asked, glowering at James as he did.

“I’m fine, and it wasn’t James’ fault. I touched him.”

“Why?”

“It was an accident,” I lied, taking the lace glove out of my coat pocket and putting it back on my hand.

“I’m going to look for some firewood,” Ivy said. “Anyone care to join me?”

“I will,” James offered.

“Not you.”

“Ivy,” I started, but James intervened.

“It’s fine,” he said.

“I’ll go,” Christian said.

She waved him over, and as they walked away, I fell back on the grass beside the water, letting the cool blades caress my bare arms.

James lay beside me, his face so close to mine that the urge to kiss him was harder to fight than I had ever imagined possible with anyone.

“You know we shouldn’t really… Christian would probably die for you. I don’t…” He sighed. “I’ve never had so much trouble speaking.”

I sighed. I knew what he was trying to say. “I know, he deserves so much better than me, but I just… There’s something about you.”

“No. I didn’t say he was better than you. If anything, he doesn’t deserve to be with you. You don’t see it do you? How astounding you are. How magnificent. You’re trying to fight Aria and thousands of fallen angels and spiders, with three people by your side.” He laughed softly.

“You make it sound brilliant when you put it that way, but I didn’t choose to come here. I think that the same spirits that gave me my immortality and my powers also sent me here.”

“They see something in you that you don’t. You are the definition of hope in this time of need. If they don’t already, every human on the face of the Earth will know your name. You will lead them out of the dark, your white wings like a beacon guiding them to victory. Their guardian angel.”

We remained silent for a few moments, and the air tasted like electricity. Then, it started to rain. It kissed my hot skin with every cool, refreshing drop. I closed my eyes, concentrating. When I opened them, the drops of cool water were suspended inches above my face.

At first, he didn’t say anything. His soft breathing lost its rhythm and his bright eyes shone with wonder and disbelief.

I could barely hear him when he first spoke. “You’re making it increasingly difficult…”

“Difficult?”

“To stop myself from reaching out and… It hurts to want you Leila.” He turned his head to face me and touched my cheek lightly.

I didn’t know what to say. My throat felt like it was swollen. “I’m sorry,” I whispered after a moment’s silence, and lost my concentration, the rain hitting my skin like shards of glass, shattering upon impact.

“You have nothing to be sorry for. You can’t help being extraordinary.”

“I really don’t know why you think that I am. If you could see me the way I do, you wouldn’t even glance twice at me.”

He sighed. “You really don’t see how special you are.”

“I do see how selfish I am though. It isn’t fair for you or… Christian.” Even saying his name made me feel guiltier.

“You’re not selfish. You don’t have to feel guilty Leila. If anyone should feel guilty, let it be me.”

“What do you have to feel guilty about?”

“This.”

Suddenly his mouth was on mine; his cold, wet skin lightly pressed against my body. I traced his lips with my tongue, and tasted rainwater. One of his hands slid down my body until it reached my thigh, while the other rested on my bare back. When he pulled on my leg, I wrapped it around his body, tugging at the hem of his wet shirt as I did.

I froze when he started to kiss my neck, remembering the bite mark, but he didn’t seem to notice, so I tried to ignore the memory, hoping his glacial lips wouldn’t brush against my new scar.

My hands slid under his shirt and my nails dug into his skin as I felt his needle-like fangs graze my collar bone. Everything else had slipped away. All that remained was him – his brilliant eyes, his soft mouth, his anxious breathing and his cold skin. Him.

That was when everything came flooding back. That was when I heard someone say my name. Someone who sounded broken. Angry. Betrayed. Christian.