Chapter 7 - Suspicious eyes, sceptical minds and ambiguous lies.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear" - Mark Twain.

(Leila’s point of view)

“It’s going to take too long if we walk back.” I sighed. “The fastest way would be to fly.”

“I have no wings,” he stated.

I thought for a moment, and then asked “Do you mind?” Before he knew what I meant he was already nodding his head.

I wrapped my arms around his torso from behind and started to beat my wings. He gripped my arm tightly as his feet left the ground.

“Don’t worry, I won’t drop you,” I said.

“I trust you,” he replied.

“Why? We’re practically strangers.”

“Strangers? How can you be a stranger to me when I’ve known you since I was fifteen years old?” he asked.

“That’s true but we only saw each other once.”

“It was one of the best days of my life,” he admitted and laughed nervously.

“It was probably the best day of my life, all things considered.”

He breathed a sigh of what I thought to be relief.

We remained silent for the rest of the journey, the cool morning breeze making his dark hair graze my neck lightly. I was teeming with all kinds of questions, but I kept them to myself.

The damage caused by the fire was much worse than I originally thought. ‘Fireproof’ buildings were crumbling; their height and majesty being stripped from them as, brick by brick, they fell to the ground.

Smoke still rose all around us but it wasn’t as bad as the night before.

“Where’s the other angel?”

“Ivy. Her name’s Ivy. She’s in the church.”

I flew down and we walked inside warily. Christian put his finger over his lips and walked down the aisles.

Ivy flew down from the rafters and landed on top of him, and she started to sing him to his death.

“Stop!” I screamed. My head felt like it was being compressed.

She did and I fell to the floor, holding my head.

“Leila! I’m so sorry I didn’t know.” Ivy ran over to me and helped me to my feet.

“It’s fine; I understand why you thought he was a threat.”

“Is he a spider?”

“No, do you think I’d escort a spider to where you were hiding?” I laughed. She didn’t.

She turned to Christian. “Who are you?”

“My name’s Christian. I come from your world.” He held his hand out for her to shake it but she just stared at him.

"What is it with angels and wanting to kill me?" he muttered so Ivy couldn't hear, but I did, and then he put his hand down. “I don’t expect you to trust me.”

"Good, because I don’t,” she spat. “Why don't you have wings?”

“I was born without them. I don’t pretend to know why.”

“How do we know you aren’t a fallen angel?”

I cut in. “I met him when he still lived on Terra Spiritus. He didn’t have wings then either.” She didn’t even look at me.