Chapter 5: Thoughts of Future Past

A/N: Yes, I did edit this to tie in better with this story's sequal, Call of the Hero: Dreams. Nothing major...but read carefully and you may pick up on some things.

Chapter 5: Thoughts of Future Past

By the time Azaiah had gotten home his sleepiness had gone away, and a gentle snow had started to fall all around them, though even with the cold it wasn’t enough to stick to the roads making it so it wasn’t too hard to drive though. He did enjoy the look of the new fallen snow, the shine it had against the light of the street lights, the fact that a few of them seemed to stick to every person walking, and he loved throwing snowballs at people, especially when he could make them fall out of the sky without anyone knowing what was going on, not that he’d ever do that of course.

Getting out of the car, the cold of the winter night made him shiver, and caused him to walk quite quickly to the apartment glad that he’d be able to be someplace warm. That was assuming the furnace hadn’t blown up or anything, which he would think would be a pretty safe assumption, but strange things did tend to happen all around him.

After getting inside, he noticed something strange about the apartment. Looking at his watch, he saw it was already 7 at night, but there weren’t any lights on; it just seemed like the middle of the night without anyone being awake. “Mom?” he called. He took a quick glance outside and saw her car in the parking lot down below, so she was here, or at least should be.

He went further into the house and he heard his dad enter the house a few seconds after him. “Was Mom going somewhere?” Azaiah asked after giving a quick scan of the various room.

“Not that I know of.”

It wasn’t weird for his mom to go out and do things, not like she had a real big social life with her just moving here, but it was possible. Still, there was something about this he didn’t like, something that set him on edge. Maybe it was just because of everything that had happened so far today, making him question everything and suspicious of anything and everything that seemed to be off. “I’ll give her a call,” Seth said.

Azaiah nodded, surprised he didn’t think of such a simple solution earlier, the fact was that they all had their phones, and that way they could communicate. No reason to jump to conclusions based off just a little bit of paranoia, after all, it wasn’t like they were part of a novel where the smallest things had the biggest of impacts. After a brief conversation, Seth hung up the phone saying, “She’s going out with Julie tonight. Said something about tickets to something on Broadway.”

Azaiah let out a sigh of relief and then went to his room while his dad went to the couch. “I’ll order pizza in a bit if you want.”

“Sounds good.”

Once he got to his room, Azaiah brought up his laptop, seeing that everything was perfectly as it should be before it was thrown through a window. He knew that some people hated Microsoft, and had that big fancy word for throwing things out windows which could also be referred to as removing windows from a computer. The author then realized he missed a great opportunity for a pun back in chapter two. Oh well, all’s well that ends with more words.

Getting connected to the internet he looked through his email, seeing if there wasn’t anything that wasn’t trying to get him to spend money or download a virus. Really, if they were going to try to convince him he could get a free Xbox, they could at least spell his name right, and know that Play Station did not have a q in it.

He then checked some news headlines, hoping to come across someone talking about those guys he fought last night. He wondered if he really should have just let that girl be stuck there like that, if someone found her, then she could be in trouble, however, after a quick can from the local headlines discovering the most exciting thing of the night was a bar catching on fire after an incident involving cheese, popcorn, power metal music, and someone with way too much alcohol in their system. That did make him smile a bit, at least after reading that no one was hurt, making him think about a certain story a certain person told him.