Chapter 2: The Call

Chapter 2: The Call

If there was one thing Azaiah didn’t like about this late night crime fighting was that the day seemed to come too early. Especially when the sun hadn’t even risen and there was some loud banging on the door. He really wanted to pretend they weren’t there, just that they were some solicitors or girl scouts that he could ignore. Then again, the thought of a Girl Scout cookie sounded really good, but that started to wake him up, and he really didn’t want to be awake right now. Kind of like how the author was when writing this.

However, he decided he should try to get rid of whoever it was; even if his parents were awake now, they weren’t going to get it, and he really wanted to go back to his dream of Naruto saving the word from a giant taco named Pablo. However, upon opening the door, he was greeted by a sight far worse than the Jehovah Witnesses or the National Foundation to Increase Subway Delays.

“Can I help you gentleman?” he asked really hoping that they got the wrong  place, and really thinking he should have put on decent clothes before answering the door when there were two Army officers standing there.

“You are Azaiah, correct?”

“Yep, come on in,” he said turning around and grabbing a remote off the coffee table. With the two coming in behind him, he hit the switch on the remote, causing all the windows to close and be reinforced with metal, the door to close in a vacuum seal, and the walls being strengthened with some plastic that blocked all sound. “So, what’s going on?”

“I am Major General Mr. Ian Won and this is Col Roberson.” The person saying that was a rather short man even smaller than Azaiah who never thought he was that tall. He had short black hair, and a smile across his face that seemed to bother him a little bit. Col Robinson on the other hand was a very tall man, with a bald head and a stature that said, well, he couldn’t quite place what that expression said.

“A pleasure to be here sir!” the colonel said with a salute to Azaiah, who casually gave one back. He was really glad he wasn’t actually in the military, all those rules and regulations. He couldn’t believe that he couldn’t even use a blue cell phone cover, it had to be black or camo, and his hair couldn’t touch his ears. He had a military hair cut once; it didn’t look good on him.

“Before we begin,” the general said holding up his hand. “I believe we need to be properly introduced. Robinson, do the thing!”

Who was he, Varrik?

However, with a faithfulness only matched in Friday night cartoons, the colonel pulled out a big red button and pressed it. However, nothing happened.

“What is the matter colonel?” he asked,

“It appears we are out of range!”

“Azaiah, would you happen to have a computer?” the general than asked.

“Um, yeah, there’s one over there in the living room. It’s my laptop, so just be careful with it.” The general then nodded to his subornment who ran over there and within a matter of seconds had YouTube brought up. However, he was met by what is commonly referred to as the spinney circle of death.

“Damn you Indonesia!” the colonel said while picking up the laptop and throwing it through the nearest window, shattering both the laptop and the metal enforced window.

Azaiah really wasn’t sure how to respond to that. He stared again with his mouth open. He then turned back to the officers, hoping that his words would make more sense than their actions. “You are paying for that, right?”

“Of course, we are the government after all. We may not be efficient, logical, or moral, but we have money.”

“Good to know,” Azaiah said taking a seat on the couch. “So, other than destroying my laptop which I hadn’t backed up in like two months, what are you doing here?”

“Well, you know about the Chinese plot to create a time machine, right?” the general asked.

“Yeah, they’ve made progress with it?”

“No, something about a John Titor seemed to get their attention and distract him. One of my most brilliant plans if I say so myself,” Ian said twirling his mustache like those old clichéd villains.

“Sir, you are a genius, sir!” Robinson said.

“Huh?” Azaiah asked, more than a little confused.

“Well, ever since you and your family came back in time those 13 years ago, we were afraid our enemies would attempt to use that knowledge, so we decided to play a little game with them, plant some fake information in the internet, under the name John Titor. All my idea of course. From there we hacked into their computer networks, planted false information about tests they had done. Ah, I can see it now, the name John Titor filling both the pages of Wikipedia along with the wonders of Japanese animation.”

“Can you try making sense here?”

“Nope, we’re the military!”

“Of course,” Azaiah said forgetting about that one very simple fact. Some soldiers were brave, self-sacrificing and wanted to change the world. Others were certifiably insane. He was dealing with the latter right now.

“Keep up the good work Azaiah,” Ian said waving as he and his assistant got up to leave. Even if Azaiah hadn’t expected much from them, this was even less. Still, he pressed the button to unlock their house into a normal unclassified location and let the two of them leave, thinking that he still had quite a bit of time to sleep.