Chapter 3: Voice of an Angel

As he got back to his room, he only thought about his bed and how sweet sleep sounded. However, right as he was about to collapse face first in his pillow, he heard a voice call out to him. “Azaiah,” He turned to the corner of the room next to the window and saw her standing there and gave a gentle smile.

“Angie?”

“It’s good to see you again.” She walked up to him with a laptop in her hands. “I think you might like this.”

“Wow, you’re awesome!”

“I am not the one who is deserving of such awe,” she said, dismissing the compliment before taking a couple steps away.

“Yeah, I know,” Azaiah said with a glance upward. “So, what are you doing here? Ever since the Jacob incident, you haven’t showed up.”

“There are other pieces that need to be in place for you to be able to fulfill your mission. Jacob and Ben were the first pieces, but there is still more to go.”

“Were you the reason we moved here?” Azaiah asked.

“The ultimate reason for all things is the same.”

He sighed again, if there was one thing about angels he didn’t like was the fact that they never gave clear answers. He really wondered why God would need someone like him, choose to use someone as frail as him when He had angels beyond counting at his disposal. But he also knew that there was a time and place to ask questions, and more importantly, a time for obedience. “Something’s about to happen here then?”

“Yes,” Angie said, “A type of weapon the Cicada group is developing.”

“Cicada?” Azaiah asked. “Never heard of them.”

“Most mortals haven’t. Even fewer know anything about them. They’re a secret society, wrapped up in a global information network. It’s only been recent events that caused their existence to reach the ears of the internet.”

“Okay, so they’re making a weapon,” Azaiah said walking to his chair and taking a seat while spinning around to face Angie.

“Yes, it takes in the genetic makeup of a person to fully analyze who they are and what they can be expected to do. Like a computer scanner, but with DNA.”

“Whoa, what a second here,” Azaiah said holding his hand up stopping Angie from going on. “So it can scan DNA?”

“Correct,” Angie said.

At this, a smile crept across Azaiah’s lips. He knew what this was the start of, why they’d need to stop it soon. “My goal is to stop it?”

“In a sense yes. The leader of New York’s cicada branch is a man by the name of Hon Futmore. He is deep within the drug industry as well, using the money he acquires from that to fund his weapons research and much of Cicada.”

“I think I get what you’re saying. You want me to help the police to catch him, get him for the drug crimes, and then the weapons research and Cicada will fall apart. Right?”

“Not quite,” Angie said. “The police have made a deal with Hon. So long as they don’t go after him, and let his men out with a light sentence, then he won’t go after their families.”

“Wait,” Azaiah leapt up from his chair. “You’re telling me that the police and being blackmailed by that guy?”

“In a sense yes. It is tragic, but this is why they won’t be of any use. Only someone who has no connection to them, someone who isn’t bound by police regulations can actually fight against Hon. Not to mention the weapons he has, and I’m not just talking about the DNA analyzer. Not even the army’s classified research can compare with that.”