Twenty

Chapter Twenty:

Peter watched as Tony Stark rushed around his office, his feet slide on the newly polished floor. The older man grumbled what sounded like curse words as he slide around in front of the small audience. Peter stood a short distance away, watching closely while Steve and Bucky sat near the back of the room- the two engaged in what looked like a serious conversation.

Peter still couldn't make sense of all the information, all the little hints that were being dropped during the earlier conversation he still couldn't piece together. The room went suddenly silent, Stark walked up to Hazel and picked at her hair until he yanked a strand away and she glared at him. The man shrugged before walking back over to the computers. Peter walked out and left the room, he didn't feel like waiting any longer. Instead he went home, threw on his suit and snuck back out the window.

He felt alive in his suit, like he could take on the world and whatever obstacles it wanted to throw at him. Peter's hand shot out from building to building as he weaved his way through over top the traffic, he could hear the occasional shout from pedestrians below. Breathing in the fresh crisp air he smiled, he was glad to be alive and in the moment.

Peter was out for hours, when he returned back to the headquarters Hazel sat by herself, glaring across the room at Steve's friend.

"Did you find anything out?"

"Positive."

"So he is your dad?"

She nodded, "Don't know how that's possible but, apparently."

Peter sat next to her, "Why don't you go talk to him?"

"Because."

"Hazel, go talk to him." Peter told her, "We don't know how long you have."

She shot him a weird look.

"What do you mean?"

"Vision said if you don't learn to control your abilities then they'll consume you by tonight." He looked at her, "You'll die."

Hazel frowned, giving him another weird look she stood up.

"What?"

"Vision said he'll help you learn to control it or whatever, he's figuring out exactly what you have."

Hazel took off towards Tony Stark who stood in the middle of the room, she tapped him on the shoulder and made him jump back, startled.

"I'm dying?" She asked, anger laced through her voice. "When were you going to tell me?"

Tony opened his mouth to reply but instead of waiting Hazel took a deep breath and nodded.

"Teach me how to control it."

Stark made a strange face then shrugged calling Vision in, he appeared five minutes later.

Everyone was instructed to leave the room, Stark protested them "working" in one of the nicest rooms in the building but said nothing when Vision started to threaten him. Peter couldn't help but laugh as Mr Stark huffed and walked away, leaving Peter with Steve and Bucky.

"So." Peter let out a small breath, "The weather's nice, isn't it?"

Bucky looked over at him, "It's cold."

Peter nodded looking around, the awkwardness seeping through the air.

"Are you going to talk to her." Peter asked, "Your kid."

The man shrugged.

"How is this even possible."

He shrugged once again, not making eye contact with anyone.

"She's great, Hazel is." Peter went on, "Nice, funny, determined and stuff."

Peter watched as Bucky's head turned a bit every time he mentioned Hazel, Peter took that as progress.

A loud noise echoed, they all jumped looking at the closed doors for the room Vision and Hazel were in. Smoke curled under the doorframe, another sound exploded from the room.

Peter placed him finger on the door and hissed before moving away, "Something exploded." He told them, "something definitely is on fire."

Peter turned to see Bucky with a small smile on his face while Steve glared at him.

"She's also very loud." Peter added, "Shy when you first meet her but very, very loud."
"You should really talk to her, she doesn't have any other family."

The two men frowned, Steve took a deep breath before sharing a look.

"Look kid." Steve began, "Bucky can't stick around, that's why he's avoiding communication with her."

"What?"

"He's going back. Finishing treatment, those experiments are still with him and there not good ones. When he's better I'm sure he'll try to come back but right now... it's not a possibility."

"There was more then one?" Peter asked, not helping himself.

"That's not important-"

Another sound echoed throughout the building, floor vibrating as a hissing sound emitted from the room. The doors flew open, a gust of cold wind hit Peter's face.

Hazel stood there, leaning against Vision. Her hair was soaking wet, part of her outfit was burnt off and stuff was scattered everywhere.

"What the hell happened!" Mr Stark ran past them and into the room, his eyes wide.

"Miss Barnes is a natural." Vision said, "She will receive training from me for the next while until I believe she will be safe."

"What-"

"Mr Stark." Visions voice was final, "She posses all elemental ability. Not just one thing, all elements, sir. Fire, Air, Earth and Water she's mastering. It's incredible, she needs to learn to control it before it controls her."

"Holy shit." Peter exclaimed, "So, s-she's like a-um freaking bender from Avatar!"

Everyone gave Peter the weirdest look, his smile quickly disappeared.

"A What?" Vision asked.

Peter shook his head, "Nothing. Never mind."

"So what is she capable off?" Bucky quietly asked, "is it dangerous?"

"If she learns to wield it probably, no, it will not control her. She is not dangerous, to herself or anybody."

He sighed with a small nod, taking a step backwards as if he could disappear.

"So she's ok?" Peter asked, "she's not gonna die?"

"Nope." She said, "You might tho if you ever call me that."

He nodded with a shrug.

"Does anyone care about how much damage they've caused!" Stark said, "You know how much money this will cost? Look it, the freaking ceiling is still on fire."

Hazel shrugged walked over to Peter, "You're the millionaire." She said before dragging Peter out of the room, through the building and out onto the street.

"Today kind of sucked." She said, Peter looked down at her and chuckled.

"Everyday kind of sucks."

Hazel snorted nudging him, "Thanks."

"For what?"

"For introducing me to this weird ass world."

"Oh" Peter said with a nod, "Well, your welcome."