Eight

Chapter Eight:

Hazel slumped over at her lunch table, all everyone could talk about was Homecoming and how it was tonight.

"So." Liz smiled across from her, "What are you wearing tonight."

"Oh, I'm not going."

Liz gasped, a fake over dramatic one that always made Hazel laugh.

"What do you mean!" She reached over and grabbed her hands, "You're coming."

Hazel shook her head, "I don't really want to go plus nobody's asked me, so..." she shrugged.

"Someone will." Liz assured her.

"Has anyone asked you?" Hazel asked, she had to ask even thought she had heard about a dozen guys talk about asking her. "I'm sure there is a lineup of guys waiting to ask you."

"Actually, Peter asked me yesterday when I was doing some Homecoming stuff." Liz grinned, "You know him, he's in your English."

Hazel frowned, nodding her head she leaned back in her chair. Shaking her head she gave Liz a small smile, she shouldn't care. She didn't.

"Yah, we're doing a project together."

"He's so nice."

Hazel nodded, "Yup."

The bell rang, Hazel jumped up and swung her back onto her shoulder before waving a quick goodbye. She disappeared into the crowd and made her way to her locker to grab her books, she trudged her way through the mass of students.

She unlocked her locker and dumped all her books into her bag, grabbing her sweater she struggled to get it on. A hand poked at her back, Hazel tensed and kicked out.

"Ow."

Once Hazel's head was through the head hole she looked up to see Peter, he stood next to her with a small smile on his lips.

"If I had super strength I could totally take you down."

"It's not happening." Peter said, "And you're not supposed to tell anyone or talk about it. Especially here."

Hazel closed her locker and fell into step beside him, she watched her feet move on the yellow tile as they walked through the halls.

"So, you going to Homecoming."

"Oh, ya." He smiled, "Taking Liz. I can't believe she said yes."

"Oh."

"Are you going?"

"No." She shook her head, "I'm just gonna stay home and watch some Family Feud."

He laughed, "Family Feud?"

Hazel nodded, "It's a good game show, fun to watch."

Peter smiled down at her, "You should come, it will be fun."

She shrugged before saying goodbye as he rushed down the hallway to get to his own class, She watched as he disappeared down the hall. Hazel shook her head before wandering towards her own class.

•••

Michelle sat at the end of Hazel's bed, slumped over and staring at her cellphone.

"I can't believe you are actually going." Hazel said smiling over at her, "What happened to you not wanting to go to anything social?"

Michelle shrugged, "I had no plans tonight."

"You're wearing a dress." Hazel pointed out, "You said you'd never wear a dress unless forced."

"You make me sound like one of those people."

"What people?"

"Screw off." She laughed, Hazel laughed back and pulled out dresses from her closet. She owned two, a black one that ended at her knees and a nice teal one that hit the floor.

"Wear the teal." Micheal said, still staring at her phone. "You'll look nice in teal."

"I don't even want to go."

"Maybe you'll meet somebody." She shrugged, "You're very social outside of school."

"This is happening at the school, Michelle."

She shrugged again, laying her back on Hazel's bed. Hazel rushed to the bathroom and changed, they had an hour before they were supposed to leave. It took her forever to let her dad give them permission to take the city bus, he wanted to take them but he had an extra shift and Hazel wouldn't let him miss it if it meant him getting on his bosses good side. Hazel father worked as a chef at some fancy restaurant downtown, it was pointless to them because he hated cooking at home and only felt like doing it if he was getting paid.

Hazel walked back into her bedroom, carrying her clothes against her chest. Michelle smiled and sat her down where she sat, Michelle grinned grabbing what looked like a makeup bag.

"No." Hazel warned, "I said no makeup."

"C'mon, just a little eyeliner."

Hazel sighed and closed her eyes, she felt the uncomfortable poke of the pencil then Michelle grabbed her head while she added mascara. Hazel stopped, standing up she looked in the mirror and smiled. Adding a bit of dark lipstick she was satisfied, she never wore makeup so she felt she needed to enjoy this.

"We should get going, don't wanna miss the bus."

Hazel nodded, tucking her phone in her dress pocket she followed Michelle out her bedroom door, down the stairs and out of her house.