Chapter 22

Chapter 22

“Up you get,” Darrius growls, coming to stand beside the table. I push out my chair and stand up, Darrius instantly grabs my arm and starts dragging me from the table towards the exit. John follows and Claudia bounds to her feet to catch up.

“What’s going on?” I ask, annoyed he is dragging me from the room without telling me what the King told him first.

“We don’t have much time, darling,” he says, giving me a cold look. But I know that look is to do with whatever the King said and not to do with me. I frown and put a hand on his hand which is still clenching my arm. 

“Darrius,” I say quietly, “You don’t have to pull me along, I’m coming,” he frowns and reluctantly lets me go. I walk beside him and John and Claudia trail behind us. 

“What’s happening with the werewolves?” Claudia asks, exasperated. 

“You know?” John asks and she nods. 

“Maximus told us.”

“We have to meet with them tonight in Oak Meadow just so they can meet with Jennifer,” John explains.

“Just to meet her?” Claudia asks sceptically.

“Yes, they can’t do anything to harm her in Oak Meadow anyway,” John wraps an arm around Claudia’s waist and pulls her into his side as he walks just behind us. Darrius sees the question in my eyes and he reaches up and gently pulls one of the black locks of my hair between his fingers.  

“Oak Meadow is a neutral ground for supernatural beings,” Darrius explains with a strained tone, like he is barely holding back his anger, “I don’t want to show you to the werewolves but we have no choice. However, they shouldn’t be able to hurt you there.” I nod but I’m still confused.

“So where are we going now?” I ask him. 

“To one of the meeting rooms, where we can discuss with some of my friends how we will protect you in case they decide to lure us into a trap,” I nod and follow him into to a room very similar to the conference room where the King had ordered Darrius to drink my blood to prove I wasn’t a danger to him. Inside the room are two waiting vampires, a man and a woman, standing by an oval shaped table.

“Owen and Leah,” Darrius greets, coming to stand opposite them, he puts a hand on my back, “This is Jennifer,” they give me a once over, like they are not that interested in who I am. Owen has brown hair and brown eyes while Leah has complimenting blonde hair and green eyes. They are obviously a couple, a dangerous one…. They are wearing black tight suits with weapons lining the belts. 

Claudia stays with John next to me and Darrius. 

“So what’s the plan?” Claudia asks, looking wearily at Leah and Owen.

“We’ll stay hidden while you guys meet the werewolves, how will you approach?” Owen asks. 

“Jennifer will stay with me at all times,” Darrius says, his hand slowly trails up my back where he rests it on the back of my neck. I tense for a moment and then pull away from his touch and turn to face him. 

“I don’t want to keep on pretending I’m your quiet little human slave in front of others,” I say, “I want to act as my own person, because that is what I am,” Darrius’ eyes narrow, the dark glossy blue of his eyes glints dangerously and I just cross my arms over my chest defensively.

“It’s safer for you that way –” Darrius’ growled reply is cut off by Claudia.

“Maybe she has a point,” she says, “If she comes across as independent, then the werewolves will know she is happily staying with us. If she comes across as your silent slave, then they’ll think she is unhappy, vulnerable and easy to persuade to change sides. She has to be seen as an independent thinker. A strong girl,” I smile at Claudia’s reasoning but Darrius doesn’t look too happy about this.