Part 2 Chapter 7

Caitlin sits on the end of my bed, looking sad and scared.

"I've had a terrible time the last few nights," she says quietly, and then she tells me everything.

She ran away from home years ago, when Xavier followed her from the club she didn't want to return to the palace so chose to give her parents' home a shot once more. Arriving at her house, she found out her sister was some sort of zombie. Her parents were turned into vampires and they had an evil guest residing with them.

His name?

Eddrick.

He really was getting around terrifying everyone. Not only that but Xavier luckily found her, and they witnessed Eddrick in the Evergreen Forest with Claudia and Johnathan. Caitlin saw Johnathan go absolutely insane – he nearly attacked Caitlin. Xavier was knocked out trying to save the day, because Eddrick was too powerful to stop.

"...and then I ran off, too scared to wait around, I didn't know what to do. I'm scared Eddrick will come here!" Caitlin concludes her story, looking visibly shaken.

"We found Johnathan," I explain, "Although he sort of escaped, and no wonder you looked so frightened! Eddrick is really evil and such a creep, he attacked me and Jaime. I understand why you locked the door but I highly doubt Eddrick is coming back into this palace. And I'm sure Xavier will heal up soon enough and make his way back, or Darrius will find him." Caitlin seems grateful for my understanding and she nods.

"I'm more worried about my sister than anything," She says, quietly, "She was so innocent, died so young, and now she is just a zombie. She didn't deserve what was done to her!"

I explain to her that Darrius has gone off to find Eddrick and that we can help her save her sister – which she seems extremely grateful for and highly relieved. I also quickly tell her everything that happened to me and Jaime so she doesn't feel like the only one who's had a dramatically crazy time lately.

It's not long before we get interrupted by repeated, unrelenting banging on my door from Maximus.

"Jennifer!" Maximus calls out and I roll my eyes at how 'distressed' he sounds, "Why did you lock me out? I thought you enjoyed my company. Unless you two girls wanted privacy because you are secretly in love and you didn't tell me!"

"What is with him?" I ask, just shaking my head disapprovingly. 

"He's always been like that, I know from watching him from a distance. Likes to amuse everyone, and tease everyone, and generally be a pain in the ass," Caitlin say this with a grin and I narrow my eyes at the banging door – because he still hasn't stopped knocking, "Do you want me to let him in?" Caitlin asks.

"Yes, you probably should," I sigh and climb out of the bed, I was still wearing my red dress from when Maximus carried me to bed and it is all crumpled now but I don't care. I stretch my arms over my head, yawning, "I got to get out of this damn bed, Darrius wouldn't let me leave it – uh, anyway..." I trail off, blushing.

Caitlin pretends to not notice my slip and goes to answer the door.

Maximus smiles at Caitlin as she unlocks the door and he gives me a wink and a slow wicked smile as he comes toward me.

"What?" I ask, confused about why he looks so happy.

"Your lover is back," Maximus smiles and my eyes widen in surprise and I feel instantly relived. I look over his shoulder and see Claudia and Darrius making their way inside – Caitlin slips out the door and leaves suddenly without saying goodbye. I don't know why she leaves out of the blue but I'm too happy Darrius is back and safe. I notice Jaime give me a quick wave from the corridor before heading off with Raphael.