Part 2 Chapter 6

Darrius' POV

Just as all the werewolves pounce on Xavier, I draw my sword and go straight for the alpha - Christian. I use my vampire speed to have an element of surprise and I push the sword up against Christian's throat so it is just cutting the outer layer of skin and I back him up into a tree.

"Stop!" the pretty werewolf with ruby red hair screams the order and every wolf backs off from Xavier's body and turns to see their alpha being challenged by a vampire. She must be highly ranked - when I glance at her and see her up close I remember she is the same werewolf Jennifer had nearly killed with her toxic blood. Christian had abandoned the whole fight to save her. She looked different because her hair was cut shorter, above her shoulders.

"Where the hell did you come from?" Christian smirks, growling the question at me, "I got to admit, I didn't see you coming."

"I came for my brother," I lie, but considering the plan to find Eddrick had been seriously compromised I needed to save Xavier and get out of here as quick as possible. If I planted one foot wrong, both Xavier and I were dead.

"Stupid time to come for your brother, leech," Christian mocks me, "My pack and I just woke up - it's early morning. The sun is about to rise."

I don't look at the sky but I believe him. I needed to get out of here soon - I was so worried about finding a solution to help Jennifer I dismissed what time it was completely. I should have been more prepared.

"I just want my brother," I growl back at Christian.

"Do you really think I'll let you leave alive after you've trespassed into my territory without invitation?" Christian is far too confident, and I'm not so stupid that I'd realise fighting my way out of here wasn't an option.

"I actually have something important to tell you," I say through gritted teeth. This was my only chance of getting out of here with Xavier, bargaining - not threatening to kill the werewolves' alpha. That just pissed everyone off.

Cautiously I take the sword down from his throat and take a step back, sheathing the sword away. I was extremely vulnerable now and the wolves notice it - zoning in on me.

"I thought you came here for your brother," Christian says, narrowing his eyes at me now that I have backed off.

"Well - I didn't exactly expect to find him here," I admit.

"You know what happened here?" Christian asks, and I nod.

"Ever heard of an undead witch called Eddrick?" I ask and I'm surprised to find Christian's eyes light up and he clenches his fists.

"Where is he?" Christian roars this.

"I'm trying to find him, how do you know him?" I go to grab my sword once more, my hand on the hilt - considering Christian looks like he wants to rip someone's throat out.

"I've been searching for him for years," Christian growls, "He killed my mother."

"He was here," I say, "He kidnapped two of my own and brought them here. Did experiments," I make sure I don't give away too much. I was just grateful that Xavier at the moment was alive - all focus taken off of him.

"What type of experiments?" Christian growls, "Two of my scouts went missing last night, never returned to the den, and we were trying to find them. Is it safe to say, Eddrick has taken them, Darrius?"

"Yes, I want to propose a truce," I say, hesitantly letting go of the sword's hilt, "We don't know enough about Eddrick to catch him, let alone kill him."

"I don't like the sound of this," the girl with the red hair speaks and Christian holds up his hand, glaring at her.

"I could kill two vampire princes," Christian growls at me and everyone in his pack, "But I think you've just given me the chance to avenge my mother's murder. I don't like the circumstances in this. Not one bit," he says this part to the girl, then glances back at me, "I will hear you out - you will tell me everything you know. I can tell you are holding something back from me, I'm not stupid. For now I want you out of my territory. We will talk - on neutral ground. Oak Meadow. Tonight!"