The Purge

Don't know how your day is going, but I've gotten over a foot of snow in the past twenty four hours, and it shows no sign of stopping. April 14th, and we're under a blizzard warning. As much as I may love Minnesota, I hate it.

Well, anyways, enjoy!

July 3rd, 2014
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Alex curled up on the living room couch, one hand holding her aching stomach as she stared blankly at the flickering television. It was the only light in the room, bright against the darkness of the night, and Alex groaned unhappily. She was cold, in pain, and alone, and all she wanted was for her mate to return.

Headlights flashed through the window, and Alex curled up tighter as the garage door began to open with a metallic roar. Jody Mills had finally returned from work, long after she had promised.

Light flooded the hallway as the sheriff stepped into the house and flipped on the light, and Alex flinched away, struggling to sit up as Jody peered into the living room. "What's up with you?" The sheriff turned on the lamp next to her, frowning down at the ex-angel. "You look like you've had a worse day than me."

Despite herself, Alex laughed. "Don't get me started." She placed her hand on her aching stomach with a grimace. "I threw some bloody clothes on the washing machine. I'll move them to the trash when I'm back on my feet." She pressed her hand into her abdomen as her stomach roiled at the memory, and she quickly changed the subject. "How, uh, how was your day?"

"Crazy." The couch dipped as the sheriff dropped down onto the couch beside her. "Rescue teams recovered the bodies from the Kennedy's house, but there isn't enough left to tell if they died from anything that wasn't the fire. Whoever started it knew what they were doing." Jody paused with a heavy sigh. "Anyways. What made your day to bad?"

"Just the usual." She watched as the sheriff's lips tightened, and she reluctantly explained, "I took care of three more demons in town; Joseph Kennedy had been setting up a meeting for them. They're dead, but one of them ..." Alex hesitated, suddenly unsure of how much she dared to tell her friend. "They got my pretty good in the gut," she finally said. "With ... with a knife. My grace healed it up fine, but it still hurts like a son of a bitch."

"Ah. Speaking of, where's Castiel?" Jody looked around the house, but the seraph was nowhere to be found.

Alex's head fell, and she pulled the pillow closer in her arms. "He's ... gone away for awhile," she quietly admitted. "Something's come up — angel stuff. I don't know when he'll be back, so I guess it's just you and me for a while."

"Then I guess you'll have the house to yourself this weekend." Jody patted Alex firmly on the leg as she rose to her feet. "Alright, listen. I'm going to take a nice, hot shower. While don't you call us in a pizza in the meantime, okay? How does that sound?"

"It sounds great." Alex smiled as Jody walked away, but once the sheriff was up the stairs and out of sight, she curled back up on the couch, a pillow clutched tightly in her arms. Lying to Jody Mills made her stomach churn in guilt, but she was safer not knowing the full truth. But even still, Alex knew she would feel better about it if Castiel was with her.

She flicked through the channels to land on the news, tossing the remote onto the coffee table as she reached for her phone. "— bizarre death in Stillwater, Minnesota last night. The competitive eater Wayne McNut was found early this morning in the parking lot of last night's competition..."

"I didn't recognize him.' " An older gentleman appeared on the screen, and Alex's attention slipped away from her phone. "He looked he had lost two hundred pounds overnight."