Heaven Can't Wait

July 4th, 2014
Rexford, Idaho

The day after Alex returned home from the hospital, she was exhausted. More people had passed in and out through her door than Alex had seen since they moved here, and all had brought gifts of some sorts. The freezer was packed full of meals from friends and neighbors. The women at Craig's church had even gotten together a small charity fund to help them pay the bills. Two hundred dollars in three days, and the donations were still coming in.

"That was the Moris'." The door closed, and Castiel returned to the living room. "They were asking if we needed anything. I promised to call if we did." He sank down onto the couch next to her, and Alex shifted until her head was in his lap.

"Craig wasn't lying about town being tight-knit," she murmured, eyes closed. "I swear we've had half the state over." She nuzzled against his hip to find a more comfortably position, and Castiel's hand came to rest upon her side. "Too many people for me." She groped blindly for the remote and flipped on the news. "I need a nap."

"— tragic accident outside of Rexford today." The picture of an old, bedraggled man was on the screen, and Alex opened her eyes. "This marks the third unexplained disappearance this week. The police were not available for questioning ..."

"That's weird." Alex twisted to frown up at Castiel. "Three in one week, huh? You think it's ... you know, a hunter kind of thing?"

"No." Castiel's hand tightened on her arm, a quick, sharp squeeze. "No," he repeated more gently. "I'm sure it's nothing. The police will take care of it."

"But if they can't —" Alex sat up, turning to face Castiel with wide grey eyes. She could feel her heart beating within her chest, strong and solid "Shouldn't we at least look into it? Before anyone else gets hurt?"

One of Castiel's hands came up to rest on her cheek. "Alex. That's no longer your job." His fingers rubbed gentle circles into her neck, and Alex leaned into the touch. "We wanted to live a normal life, away from the supernatural. That's why we're here."

You can't escape it. Crowley's voice echoed through her head, and Alex closed her eyes. "Aren't we here — here on this earth — to help people?"

"That was my Father's mission," Castiel murmured. "My mission is to keep you safe." He leaned up, but Alex turned her head, letting his lips connect with her temple instead. He pulled back, and Alex watched his face fall out of the corner of her eye. "Promise me you won't look into it."

"Of course." Alex turned back, and she pressed a soft kiss onto his forehead. "I promise." She let out a large yawn, and her eyes flickered over to the clock. "Forget the news. Let's go to bed."

"It's only nine." Castiel's hand came to rest on her hip, and Alex shifted so she was straddling his legs.

"Well, I'm tired." Alex dipped her head to kiss his lips, and her fingers curled in the hair on the back of his neck. "I want to go to bed. Want to come?" Her invitation was accompanied by another quick kiss, and she felt Castiel's hands come to rest on her sides.

Then, to her surprise, he gently pushed her back. "You need to rest." The ex-seraph's blue eyes sparkled with concern. "The doctor said you shouldn't participate in any sort of activity that would raise your heart rate."

Alex rolled her eyes. "He's only saying that because he doesn't think I'm fine." She frowned as the mood slipped away, and she let her hands fall down to Castiel's shoulders. "He doesn't understand, Cas. He a doctor; they don't believe in the things we do."

"I just don't want to take any chances." The ex-seraph's fingers played with the hem of her shirt, and Alex shifted closer. "I don't want to go through that ever again."