25

~25~

     Clara shot at the robots that came towards her. She fought along with the others, destroying anything made of metal, except for Tony of course. Tony started to shoot a blast at Ultron before Clara joined him, followed by Thor and Vision. When the shooting stoped, Ultron wobbled to his feet. "You know, with the benefit of hindsight...." Suddenly Hulk knocked him far away and the robots started to retreat.

"They'll try to leave the city." Clara said, turning to face the others.

"We can't let 'em, not even one. Rhodey!" Tony said as he called to his friend in the air.

"I'm on it."

"We gotta move out. Even I can tell the air is getting thin. You guys get to the boats, I'll sweep for stragglers, be right behind you." Steve said.

"What about the core?" Clint asked.

"I'll protect it. It's my job." Wanda said to the others.

"Get the people on the boats." Steve said. Clara and Steve ran back to the center of the city, ushering people into the boats. When they thought everyone was onboard, Clara went to aid anyone who needed help.

"Costel?" A girl yelled desperately. "We were in the market. Costel?!" Clara looked around and saw a little boy struggling under some debris. Clara got off the boat, Steve calling out for her.

"Be careful," He said, meeting her eyes as she nodded.

"Is this the last of them?" Tony asked.

"Everyone but Clara is on the carrier." Steve said.

"What do you mean? Where is she?" Tony asked, getting angry as he flew through the air. He used his helmet to try and find Clara through the rubble.

"She's getting the last civilian," Steve answered, his eyes trained on her as she climbed over the rubble.

"Make sure she gets on it before it leaves," Tony said, realization hitting him. "You know, if this works, we maybe don't walk away."

"Maybe not." Thor said. Clara reached the little boy and helped pull him out of the rubble. She held him in her arms as she carried him back to the ship. On her way back, she didn't notice a jet coming straight at her before it was too late. As soon as she heard the first fire of it's guns, she looked around to see she was completely screwed. She turned her back to the ship and held the boy into her chest to protect him, feeling his tears soak through her shirt. Clara shut her eyes tightly, refusing to let tears escape as she expected the bullets to hit her, but they never did. Instead, she felt her body sway slightly before the bullets stopped. She looked up, confused until her eyes landed and Pietro. His body was littered with bullet holes.

"No," she whispered as Pietro smirked back at her.

"You didn't see that coming." He said, out of breath. His smirk faded before he fell to the ground. Clara's grip on the child loosened as she immediately felt reasonable for the young man's death. Before she knew it, Clint was beside her. Clint looked at her and she shook her head, answering his unasked question. Clint carefully picked up the speedster's body and carried him to the carrier while Clara took the little boy. She handed him to his sister who thanked her through her tears of relief. Clara looked over her shoulder to see Steve aiding another passenger before standing up to face her. His face fell with relief.

In the heat of the moment, having almost been killed, she couldn't resist. Hair blowing rapidly into her face, blood mixing with her sweat and tears. She didn't care anymore about hiding her feelings. She quickly approached Steve and before he ask her anything, she gripped his suit in her gloved fist and pulled him close until their lips collided. She didn't care that others watched. She didn't care that they were covered in sweat and blood. She didn't care about anything but her feelings. Steve wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tightly as they pulled apart. Their eyes met before Clara rested her head on his chest and reality kicked in.