The Last Thing I Ever Wanted--Date Night

The song on the side, "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne basically shows Jason's character traits during the date. You readers might have to wait a while to see the full effect, but if you were watching a show version of this story, I would definitely pick this song to play towards the middle and end of the date. Otherwise, please enjoy!

Jade's P.O.V

I was currently doing two things at once: getting ready for my date with Jason, and seeking fashion advice from Ria, Crystal, and Ami; who were sleeping over at my house. Jason and I had been hanging out at school all week; but the hangouts were always cut short because I had to go take care of Derek.

Tonight, I had asked Layla to fill in for me. She readily accepted; although that probably had a lot to do with her dream to be a doctor. "Medical experience," she calls it, but not anything she could put on a resume or college application.

I was holding a black strapless dress in one hand and a gray leather jacket in the other. "Formal or casual?" I asked. Crystal and Ami, who were flattened put on my bed flipping through magazines.

"Depends. Where are you going?" Crystal asked.

"I don't know . Jason refused to tell me." I replied.

"Oh, well. Go casual. Wear a silk top for a formal bonus and leather boots." Ami advised.

"Leather boots?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Leather boots." she replied in all seriousness.

"Well I'm just glad that you're moving on and going on a date with Jason tonight." this came from Ria, who was just entering with a bag of Doritos. Crystal perked up at this; being the one person in our group who hadn't been completely updated about the whole Derek situtation. I tied my hair in one with a scrunchie and added a white streak in my hair; just for occasion.

"There is no 'moving on' involved. Me and Derek are just friends. That's it. Barely but, in fact." I said, struggling not to break composure by smiling.

Ami took one look at my face and rolled her eyes.

"Can't fool me, sweetie. You can say a billion times that you and him are just friends, but he obviously has some feelings for you. You have feelings for him too." Ami replied, playing with a protractor. "Hey, stop that!" I said, running over to pry the protractor from Ami's hands(in a fail attempt to change the subject). She held them away on purpose, laughing and saying, "Oh please. As if you actually DO geometry homework."

I rolled my eyes. It was a joke of course, since I constantly endeavored to pull my homework grae up in geometry; to banish my failing test grades.

I gave up and reached over for one of Ria's Doritos. She slapped my hand away. "No food before your date. What if you end up being too full to eat? Then what?" she reprimanded.

"Ok." I said,slipping on my leather jacket and scarf. "Hugs you guys!" I said, standing with my arms raised. They ran over and glomped on me. "Good luck." Ria said.

"Tell me everything after the date." Crystal admonished. Finally Ami said, "Hey Jade! If things get romantic tonight, focus. Don't kiss Jason knowing you'll be thinking of Derek. Good luck"

I smiled and waved goodbye. Then, as I stepped into the now-crisp autumn weather, I thought about what Ami said. I shook it off as I walked down the block and around the corner. I was heading to the park to meet Jason, and not Derek.

So why was Derek's face the one that ran through my mind all the way there?

Jason's P.O.V

I leaned against the entrance gate of the park, waiting for Jade. I randomly recalled a conversation I had with Derek last night about Jade.