Chapter 12

A tan Jeep slowed at a sidewalk inside the large, bustling community of Central City, pausing in front of a silvery-white building that rose into the sky. "Carter and Trade, huh?" said one of the occupants, a young anthropomorphic bee. "Hey, I get it. That's smart!" He laughed, looking to the men in the driver and passenger seats.

        Detective Vector nodded to himself, only half listening to the boy. Carter & Trade was North America's main international trading company, exchanging supplies with South America, Europe, Asia, Japan, and Australia. The Carter family had first begun the business nearly a hundred years ago, each owner passing it down to his son. Remington Carter, the current Chief Executive Officer of the trading company, who had also been reported missing in the past few weeks, was the third generation of family ownership. Where he was now, no one had a clue—and that was the reason why the Chaotix Detectives were conducting their investigation.

        "Parking is a bit ahead, Vector. Around the corner," said Espio, interrupting the crocodile's intense staring contest with the blazingly bright exterior of the building which no doubt held so many secrets.

        "What? Oh, yeah, yeah. Was just thinkin' about somethin' that's been on my mind for a while." The brake pedal was released, and Vector steered the vehicle to the next right turn, coming across the hidden-away parking area for company employees. When the Jeep was parked and the engine switched off, the chief detective kept the keys in the ignition and rested both hands on the steering wheel.

        "Say, Espio?" he looked over at his colleague with a frown. He chewed his lip as the unwavering golden eyes met his own. "Let's say the guy that got whacked by our unknown gang really is Remington Carter. He's well-known around here, got plenty of loyal and supporting family and workers and people of the public. If we go in there making claims about Mr. Carter affiliating with druggies, how're we gonna know if somebody tampers with the evidence? These corporate folk wind together like snakes in a pit—what if a bunch of 'em are in on the drugs and weapons cartel?"

        The chameleon uttered a low hum as he thought this over. "How many details did you give the supervisor when you called and asked about performing the investigation?"

        "Not too many details," said Vector. "I just told her we're coming to figure out what happened to Carter and that we possibly have a lead. I was gonna explain more in person."

        "Good," stated Espio, settling back into his seat. "They know very little of our intention, and it can stay that way."

        Charmy Bee poked his head between the two seats his teammates were sat in, looking back and forth between them with a confused twitch of his antennae. "Isn't that lying? Aren't we supposed to tell the people why we're investigating, especially if they agreed to let us? Can't we get in trouble for that?"

        Espio gave the boy a slow nod. "You are right, Charmy. Shielding the true reason for why we are here is not favorable in the eyes of the law since the company willingly invited us to be here. However, Vector may be right as well. We mustn't trust anyone with the information pertaining to Mr. Carter and his possible meeting with criminals. Evidence may be destroyed, and we may be led in the wrong direction. It is best to keep this quiet, for now. Understand?" When the bee voiced his acknowledgement, Vector patted him on the head and the Chaotix exited the vehicle.

        Nonchalantly, the crocodile took large strides toward the entrance to the building as his colleagues trailed behind, appearing calm and collected despite the conversation that had just taken place. He held the door open for his smaller companions, taking in with an uninterested eye the immaculate interior of the trading center. The detectives had visited places like this countless times during their investigations.