Chapter 2

A pair of detectives were in the midst of a search, deep in concentration as they attempted to look over every inch of the reported area. So far nothing had been found, and a large green crocodile was growing impatient, as opposed to the calmer, bright purple chameleon working a couple yards from him.

        "You seein' anything? I'm not seein' anything. What about over there, Es? You seein' anything? I'm still not seein' anything."

        The crocodile lowered his UV flashlight from a spot on the grainy wall outside one of the many Dollar Tree stores that seemed to be losing business around the area. A large, gloved hand made its way to the long snout, running down its length until tapering off at the nostrils. The flashlight was switched off, and the last of the bright blue rays became absorbed into the wall. Then he stood, catching his fellow investigator's attention.

        "Really hope the kid's not goin' looney or something," he subtly jerked his head toward the Jeep parked along the sidewalk which held a human girl and another of his associates, "'cause I ain't seein' scrap for a homicide."

        Eyes of chilled gold looked up from a pile of neatly kept swabs lying on the ground, each one graciously doused with luminol to detect the presence of blood. None showed a result. "Or she could have been mistaken and the incident really happened in another alley nearby," came a soft voice from the chameleon. "I agree with you in there being no evidence of a homicide, as neither the UV light nor luminol are giving back results, but suggesting a child be headed down the road to insanity is a bit of an exaggeration."

        "And that's why you're the brains of this operation, Espio," said the crocodile with just a hint of sarcasm. "Without you around, I'd be sendin' that kid straight off to the mental institution."

        "Humorous." Espio gathered the swabs and bottles from the ground, slipping past the chief detective without so much as an irritated tail twitch; very learned as he was in keeping emotions hidden. He stopped at the edge of the alleyway, speaking in that soft and calming tone that somehow always carried itself to the ears of the listener. "I assume you will be the one to explain to her the situation. With no evidence of the murder, this case will be lowered in priority after tonight."

        "Yeah, yeah, I know how you tend to avoid conversation to keep up that 'mysterious ninja' persona," the large reptile rolled his eyes. "Honestly, it just makes you look antisocial. Like Shadow."

        "People are intimidated by me, Vector. They would much rather listen to you speak than feel as if they are being judged every time I look them in the eye." The chameleon turned his head slightly, a single golden eye peering into the crocodile's own. After watching his chief involuntarily shudder under the stare, he placed his inspection items inside a leather bag and got into the passenger's side of the waiting vehicle. His point was made. 

        A sigh left the fanged snout. Giving the area a last look-over, Vector then gathered his own supplies and headed out onto the sidewalk. Past the Jeep's tinted windows was a silhouette of the human girl who had directed the detectives to this part of (Hometown). She had been nervous and jumpy, Vector recalled. During the trip from the station he had kept an eye on the girl through the rearview mirror. She had constantly peeked out the window, searching for those who had supposedly chased after her. He thought she was just paranoid, or perhaps, schizophrenic, as there was clearly no sign of a scuffle in this particular area.

        And now he had to tell the girl that nothing was found. That if no evidence showed up during tonight's investigation the case would be closed. There was no use in pursuing a dead end, not when the shelves were teeming with other reports waiting to be dealt with.