Chapter 1

It's been two years since Peeta and I have been together in 12. Gale is off in 2, and I have felt no longing for him. I feel so different. I still cannot help but long for my sister prim everyday. Although it is a slight comfort knowing I have found love with Peeta. I still have nightmares, though, Peeta has not ceased to comfort me when they come. I have come up with a game. In mornings of which happiness does not come, I imagine all the good things done in the world. It is amazing how much I play it.

The spring air is such a relief from the cold winter. I head to the meadow to get through the district fence and hunt. I hunt almost every day. What else is there to do? Peeta bakes, I hunt. That's all we do anymore. I still feel as if I'm waiting for something. Although, there is nothing. Every month Plutarch's camera crew come to Peeta and I's house to record me singing. It is nice to let my voice be heard around Panem. I do sing at home often as well. Peeta enjoys it, so do the mockingjays. Peeta and I married at the justice building about three years ago. Toasting and all. Gale has not come to visit. But I do not need him to. He is a part of my deadly past, I need to focus on my uneventful future.

Every once in a while Peeta will bring up having children. I don't know if I can handle explaining my past to innocent beings. And pretending it did not happen is simply out of the question. I can't think about this now. I clear my head and set some traps. Only the simple ones. Ever since Prim's death, I cannot even think about Gale's traps anymore. I still wear my Mockingjay pin in honor of Madge, and all others who died during the war. I notice a pinch and see the pin has become undone a poked a hole in my upper breast. Blood trickles out of it. I wipe it with my jacket sleeve and move on. That's when I see it. Looking me right in the eye.

A wolf.

I do not know what to do. It must have been near by and smelled the blood. I take an arrow out of the sheath and fire. I missed. The wolf jumps and comes on top of me. I barely blink before it's teeth sink in to my right calf. I take another arrow and try again. This time I get it. I push the wolf off of me and attempt at standing, and I barely make it before screaming in pain. Both lower and upper teeth sank in to my flesh. Deep. Very deep. I limp off to the meadow and catch a ride in a wagon home. I get off and wince in pain. As I hop on one foot inside I see Peeta in the kitchen making soup and bread. He sees me and says "Katniss, are you ok?! What happened?!" After I told him he got some medicine from the cupboard and lightly rubbed it on the wound. I wince as he finishes and wraps it in gauze. "You should be ok. If it feels funny or hurts I can take you to a healer." He says. I don't know what I would do without the boy with the bread.