Chapter Three

dedicated to rexjo24

***

Liam was early, which was a surprise to me, and the whole world. He checked his watch, mocking my tardiness and I rolled my eyes as I unlocked the front door. I was never one to be late, always five minutes early to everything. But Liam had beat me to it, showing up at ten minutes to eight. He hadn't even spoken a word to me and I already wanted this day to be over.

"Good morning, sunshine." He held the door open for me. I ignored the smug smile on his face and marched straight into my office.

There was a front reception desk right when you walked in, where Jamie, my receptionist, sat part time. She was enrolled at the local community college and worked at my office three days a week. She was friends with Ellie and I had known her for years.

When you passed the desk, there was a small hallway that divided my office from the conference room. At the end of the hall, there was a break room and a bathroom. It was a small space, but it was all mine.

I stepped into my office and Liam followed. He plopped down on the chair opposite my desk and fiddled with the knick-knacks.

"So," He began. I looked away from my computer to him. "What's first on the agenda, boss?"

I looked back at my screen and waited for the computer to boot up. "We have to go over to the boathouse and pretty much beg them to let us add a few more tables."

"This wedding keeps getting bigger and bigger." He shook his head.

"Tell me about it." I rolled my eyes. I placed the order for the flower crowns Anna requested and printed out the receipt, slipping it into my purse. "Make yourself useful and grab the seating chart out of the filing cabinet behind you." He walked over and as soon as he placed his hands on the drawer to open, I gasped. When he opened the drawer, I noticed his attention lagging, obviously he discovered the picture of me and Paul.

Sure enough, he asked, "Oh, who's this? Your boyfriend?"

"That's none of your business, please don't touch my stuff."

He put his hands up in defense and put the picture back in the drawer.

It was a photo from college, one that I can't seem to let go of. I wasn't exactly sure why I kept it in my office. I hadn't seen the guy in the photo, Paul, in over three years. I was embarrassed since nothing really developed between the two of us. I needed to get rid of that photo.

"Well...let's get down to business then." He said, sensing that I didn't want to discuss the conversation at hand. I grabbed my purse and followed him out of my office. Jamie was at reception now and I waved to her as we passed. Her eyebrows lifted, and she gave me a seductive smile.

"Don't get any ideas." I mouthed to her as I headed out the door.

He unlocked his car and started heading towards it. "I'm not getting in the car with you." His two-seater convertible corvette was the size of a go-cart and the image of the car scrunched up after an impact flooded into my mind. "That thing is a death trap."

He chuckled. "We're literally going one mile down the street." He pointed in the direction of the boat house. "I'll drive slow, I promise." I was relieved to hear him say that because I hear these things are like rocket ships.

I crossed my arms. "I don't even know you. I'm not getting in the car with some stranger." I motioned towards my jeep. "I can drive."

"Just get in the car." He commanded.