Chapter Two

Chapter 2 is dedicated to Limelight_stealer
What a selfless soul. One of the very first readers of this story. She created the beautiful cover and I couldn't be more thankful. Thank you!

***

"I thought your sister already decided on the floral arrangements?" Savannah huffed as we walked up and down the rows of flowers, appalled at the idea of doing this all over again. It wasn't that we were re-doing the order, just "fine tuning" at Anna's request. I have spent so much time in this room over the years, I knew the assortments with my eyes closed. Poppy was the owner of the flower shop, Poppy's Petals, and I did all my business with her. We went to the same high school, but she was a few years younger than me. After her father retired a few years back, she took it over. We had built a friendship over the last few years and she was the only florist I trusted.

"She did." I stuck my nose into an assortment of roses and inhaled the floral scent. "She just wants me to double check the peonies that came in today." I walked over to them, taking a closer look. They looked the same as they always did, each petal bloomed to perfection in a gorgeous shade of pink.

"Isn't there a rule in the Wedding Planner Handbook that says clients who are family are supposed to go easy on you?" She put her hand on her hip. "She already made the order, twice. It's time to move on."

Savannah was my sidekick but never handled the planning aspect of the weddings. She showed up to do the hair and makeup for the bridal party. After graduating from beauty school, she took a job at an upscale salon in Wilmington, where she built up quite the clientele. Throughout the years, she had been featured in countless bridal magazines and my clients are always eager for me to hire her for their big day. Since she is my best friend, it's an unwritten rule that she must always say yes.

"It's what she wants, Sav." I walked away, ignoring the evil glare she was giving me.

"Can we get out of here soon? This place smells like a funeral home." She scrunched her nose.

"We're almost done."

"Ugh, you are in desperate need of some highlights." She came up behind me, grabbing a lock of my blonde hair. "My place tonight? We can watch a movie and I can throw some lightener on it."

"I can't." I waved to Poppy as we headed out the door and onto the boardwalk. A couple of kids flew by on skateboards and almost knocked me over. I put my hand on Savannah's shoulder to steady myself. "I have the seating chart to do with Anna and my mom. Maybe sometime this weekend?" I threw my purse over my shoulder and headed in the direction of my office. I turned over my shoulder and blew her a kiss. Savannah used her drama queen antics to make me see the absurdity of some of Anna's requests.

She yelled after me. "Let me know when you can make some time for me. Preferably when we're not working." I waved my hand over my head, walking in the opposite direction.

Savannah has been my best friend since the summer before second grade. Her family moved in across the street and we spent every waking hour with each other. We stayed a package deal until college. I went off to the University of North Carolina while she stayed in Bridgeport and commuted to cosmetology school in Wilmington.

We talked on the phone every day and she visited most weekends. When I moved back to Bridgeport, she already had built up her clientele. I was just starting my business and with our busy schedules, it made sense for us to work together. We collaborated on pretty much every wedding, giving us time to spend together.