Chapter 24 the Kidnapping

As Peeta wakes up, the memory of yesterday’s events still fresh in his mind. He was so relaxed around Leonitus – almost trusting of the guy. Was he being so trusting because of Leonitus’ sad life story? Was that story even true? Who would even be able to find the truth out? All these questions but with no discernible answers.

Peeta groans.

“What’s wrong little man?” Brutus asks coming out of the bathroom dressed in his uniform.

“Leonitus,” Peeta replies as he sits up and leans against the headboard. “As usual.”

“Oh?” questions Brutus as he sits on the bed by Peeta’s feet.

“I don’t know what I was thinking yesterday,” Peeta admits sadly. “I actually had a good time with him yesterday.”

“And today you are having feelings of guilt,” Brutus concludes.

“Yeah. Because I don’t understand why it was so easy for me to forget what he did to Cato and I. I mean Cato and I were busy planning our future. Now I am giving the guy who ruined that a chance to prove himself to me! What the hell is wrong with me?” asks Peeta confounded pulling at his hair.

“Nothing is wrong with you Peeta,” Brutus replies trying to calm the younger man. “The guy showed you a new side to him, a nicer side. Hell, even Eno and I had a good time around him yesterday.”

Peeta sits there for a moment silently. “Do you believe the story of his past?” Peeta asks suddenly. “I mean, does any of it ring true to you? I only ask because you are from the same district.” Peeta adds hopeful.

“I honestly don’t know,” Brutus replies after giving the question some thought. “I think there may be some truth to it. There were stories floating around of a victor that fathered a couple of children with different women. I never met the man as I tended to avoid as many of the other victors as I could. I was ashamed of myself after, um you know. The only person I would have anything with was Eno.”

“Is there any way we could find out about Leonitus and this Victor? Like before my next date with the guy?” Peeta asks hopefully. “I think it might help me.”

“Well, I guess we could check the records in District 2, but we don’t even know if we will get sent there. It’s a real possibility that you and Leonitus will have another date before we know,” Brutus tells the younger man.

Peeta slumps against the headboard, feeling very dejected. He jumps at the sound of Brutus’ yell.

“Wait!” Brutus exclaims. “There may be someone in District 2 that can look for us right now. I’ll go talk to Boggs and Jackson about contacting this person while you get ready for your TV show,” he teases as he stands up and goes.

Brutus is already out the door before Peeta could formulate any type of response. He gets up and gathers his clothes before going into the bathroom to do his morning ritual and dressing. He hopes that Boggs and Jackson will agree to Brutus’ request and let him contact this unknown person.