2nd Bonus chapter -Chapter 10 District 12's Tribute Families

A reminder, I own nothing. All rights go to Suzanne Collins.

2nd Bonus chapter -Chapter 10 District 12’s Tribute Families

Tribute Parade Night

The Everdeen’s house

Prim was sitting at the dining table. Tonight was the tribute parade. She couldn’t wait to see it, to see Katniss’ face again. She had only be gone a day but it felt like longer. Prim couldn’t help but think about how brave her sister was for volunteering to take her place, Peeta too.

“Prim, does this look straight?”

Prim looks up and sees her mother and Rory hanging up the painting Peeta had done for them.

“Yes, it looks good mom.”

Prim stands up to take a better look at the painting. Peeta’s work really was amazing. The painting showed her mother in the center with Prim to her left and Katniss to the right. Off center at the top was her father looking down at the three of them. It was extraordinary how that simple touch meant so much to her.

“Mrs. Everdeen, mom asked me to invite you and Prim over for dinner before the tribute parade,” Rory says.

“Thank you Rory. Let your mother know that we’ll be there. Would she like us to bring anything?”

“No ma’am. Gale and Peeta stocked us really well.” Rory responds.

“Very well then. We’ll be over later.” Mrs. Everdeen turns to Prim, “Prim, I have to go out for a short while. I’m going over to check on Thom and make sure he’s healing well.”

“Would it be okay with you if I go over to the Hawthorne’s now? I could offer to help Mrs. Hawthorne with dinner,” Prim suggests.

“Sure, that’d be fine.” Her mother responds.

The three of them left the house together. Mrs. Everdeen turns for Thom’s house as Rory and Prim head to the Hawthorne’s place.

The Hawthorne’s house

Rory opens the door to his house and follows Prim into the house.

“Mom, I’m back,” he calls. “Prim is here with me.”

Hazelle comes out from the bedroom. “Hello Prim dear. How’s your mother?”

Hi Mrs. Hawthorne, Mom is as well as can be expected with the circumstances being what they are. Do you need any help with dinner?” Prim asks.

“Thank you but no. The stew is simmering and the rolls that Peeta made the other day are warming in the oven,” Hazelle says with tears forming in her eyes at the thought of her two boys that are so far away. “I’ll call you when it’s time to set the table though.”

“Okay mom,” Rory replies seeing his mother’s face. “We’ll go keep Vick and Posy entertained until you need us.”

An hour later, Hazelle calls the children to come set the table. There’s a knock on the door and Posy answers it.

“Hello Mrs. Everdeen, please come in. Dinner is almost ready.”

“Hello Posy, thank you,” Mrs. Everdeen says as she walks in the door.

After dinner, the two women set about putting the food away as Prim and Rory wash the dishes. Vick and Posy wait in the living room area. Soon everyone is seated and waiting for the parade to start. Suddenly there was an unexpected knock on the door.

The Mellark’s house

Mr. Mellark is downstairs in the bakery with Wheet, closing up and getting things set up for tomorrow.