Chapter 12 Arena Day 4 - the Rescue

Chapter 12 Arena Day 4, the Rescue       

The day began like any other in the arena except for the silence. It’s a little unnerving. The birds in this part of the jungle are being unusually quiet. In fact, it was like they were gone, flew the coop so to speak. It alarms Peeta, who snuggles closer to Cato. He hopes that by being closer to the older boy it will dispel the uneasy feeling in his gut.

Cato feels Peeta snuggle closer to him and smiles. He doesn’t know or care why Peeta did it, but Cato tightens his hold on the younger boy. He was beginning to really enjoy the feeling of waking up to Peeta in his arms. Just being like this was the best feeling in the world, like his life is complete. He’s startled out of his thoughts by the sound of Peeta’s voice.

“Did I wake you?” he asks.

Cato tilts his head down to look at Peeta, “No, I was just lying here, enjoying the quiet,” he responds voice quiet so as not to disturb the others still sleeping. “And having you in my arms. I could spend the rest of my life happy if I could wake up every morning with you in my arms,” he admits truthfully.

Peeta blushes. “Aww, I didn’t know you were such a romantic sap,” he whispers teasingly.

“When this is all over, I will show you exactly how romantic I can be,” Cato whispers back seriously.

“Ugh, you two are far too mushy this morning,” Rie complains from his side of the bed. “Can’t you two just wish each other a good morning like a normal couple?”

Cato leans up on his elbow to look at Rie on the other side of Peeta, “Sure, we could be boring like that. But we’re not quite a normal couple are we.” He winks at Rie who just shakes his head smiling.

Peeta rolls on his back to look at his brother muttering, “We’re in an arena, fighting for our lives. Nothing about this situation is normal.” Peeta turns his head to look up at Cato, “If Cato wants to sweet talk me, who am I to deny him that?”

“How’s your leg, Rie?” asks Cato a little embarrassed and trying to change the subject. Peeta snickers as he turns back to Rie, curious as well.

Rie sits up and throws the blanket back to look at his leg, “It feels fine. I think I’ll just wait for Foxface to check it when she gets up.”

Peeta and Cato both sit up and look over to a sleeping Foxface. “I’m glad she’s with us,” Cato says sincerely. “I think our losses would’ve been greater without her.”

“I’m glad too,” Rie says. “Without her I’d have probably bled to death.” Immediately Cato and Rie look at Peeta when they realize what they had just said. Peeta’s reaction to Glimmer’s death still fresh in their minds.

Peeta can feel both pair of eyes on him. “I’m fine guys. I know I lost it yesterday. But I am doing much better today, I promise.” He gestures to Foxface, “She definitely has been an asset to the group. I could have lost both of you.” He says laying his head on Cato’s shoulder. He changes the subject from such morbid thoughts, “have you noticed how quiet it is today? I can hear Clove’s snoring from here.” Rie and Cato snicker at that.

“It is pretty quiet. No singing birds,” Rie says.

“Maybe Clove’s snoring chased them off,” Cato adds. The three of them laugh loudly before covering their mouths. “We better stop. We don’t want to wake her.” Peeta and Rie nod in agreement.

“So, we’re going to be able to get clean today?” Peeta asks.

Cato looks down at Peeta, kissing his nose, “Yes. The plan is to head up as soon as everyone is up and ready. You up for a swim?”