3

Aidan and Davina are missing, and theyre not the only ones. Where did they go? And why isnt the police doing anything about it?
'How many people are missing?' I ask.
'2073 in Nebula. In our city 269.'
'Then why are you sitting here behind your desk? You should be doing something about this!'
'I assure you miss Gonzalez that we are doing everything we can.'
'Youre not at all! There are 2073 people missing. Are some found?'
'That information is not available for you miss Gonzalez. I ask you now to leave. Thank you for your report.'
Im getting angry but I can't make a scene out here. Especially not with a cop.
'Before I leave.. I have a suggestion. I'm just really worried about my friends.. so.. what about a police airship?'
'I'll discuss it with my colleagues.' She says harshly.
I walk back to my car and drive home. When I come home my mom is surprised to see me.
'Hunni how come you're home so early? I thought you were with Aidan. Is something wrong?'
I start crying. Im so angry and upset. I just realise my friends are missing. They are missing. And 2071 other people are missing. And I have no idea where they are and the police neither. It hasn't even been on the news yet.
'Mom.. Aidan and Davina are missing. I couldn't find them anywhere. I don't know what to do.'
'What? Sweetie what happened? Are you sure?'
'I went to both parents and they said they hadnt seen them for 2-3 days. They thought they were with me but they aren't. I went to the police station to report them missing. It turns out 2073 people are missing and 269 in Anadeia, our city. Its because they're benders. The police wouldn't tell me anything. Why aren't they doing something about this?'
'Sweetie, the police cant do anything if they have no lead. I'm sure theyre investigating the parents or relatives but they have a lot of pressure. 2071 you say? Thats a lot. Im really surprised. I think the best you can do is to calm down and inform the parents. Maybe its best to hear it from you.'
'I guess so.'
'Take some water and then go.'
I walk to the kitchen and I watch mom. She is freaking out a little as well. Who wouldn't. I'm getting a glass of water and walk to my room. I take a sip and put my glass on my nightstand. I get my phone out of my pocket and get my wireless earphone out of my bag. I call the parents of Aidan first.
'Hello, with Kyra Ross.'
'Hi miss Ross, this is Yara speaking.'
'Hello Yara, Steven told me you came by earlier today. Have you found Aidan?'
'I'm sorry.. No I couldn't find him anywhere. Same for Davina. They're missing. I reported them missing.'
'You couldn't find Aidan? Then where is he? What about the police? What did they say?'
She is really upset. She is almost screaming and I can tell she is about to break down. It makes me feel the same.
'I dont know where he is. The police isn't doing anything.'
'Where is my son? Where is my son!'
She starts crying and I hear someone else takes over the phone.
'Yara, this is Steven.'
'Hello mister Ross. I'm so sorry about Aidan. I did what I could. Im really sorry.'
Tears are escaping my eyes.
'We know you did your best. And its not your fault. I'll hang up now.'
I can't even say something back. He already hung up. I can't blame him. I gave them horrible news. And now I also have to give the parents of Davina horrible news. But well, here I go.
'Hello, with Rosalia Campbell.'
'Hello.. it's Yara.'
Im not feeling great.
'Yara.. hello. Have you got any news about Davina?'
'I couldn't find her.. and I reported her missing at the police station.'
'No..'
'I'm really sorry..'
'What is the police going to do? Tell me they know something.'
'They're not...'
'Thank you Yara, for trying. But I'm not giving up. I know what to do.'
I can hear her crying and then she hangs up the phone. I start crying too.
I can't hold back anymore. Aidan and Davina are gone and I dont know where they are. I have neglected them for a week and the last thing I told Aidan is to leave me alone. I screamed and yelled at him. I ignored his phone calls, I let my mom send him away when he came at my door, I pushed him away and now there is a chance I'll never see him again. I'm so sorry Aidan. Where are you? Im so sorry, I wish you'd come back. I wish you were here so that I can tell you this in person. And now it may be too late. What have I done? Maybe if I wasn't acting so childish they would still be here. I didn't even notice they were gone. They hadnt called me or texted me for a few days though.. I should have paid more attention. I feel so bad, I feel so guilty. I snap out of my thoughts when I hear the door get slammed. Maybe mom needs some air to process things. I really hope the police is going to do something about it. I think I should take some rest. I take off my clothes and put on a basic top to sleep in. I crawl in bed and I fall asleep in no time.