Chapter 9

Vanessa's P.O.V.

I decided that the next morning would be a good enough time to bring Shawn's dog back. I scooped Mae up from the passenger seat and I couldn't resist smiling slightly when she licked my cheek. It made me feel sort of bad when I got out of the vehicle and splashed several handfuls of puddle water on her fur. She shook and whined as I carried her to the front door, but I knew that would only sell the part even more. 

Before I knocked, I took in my reflection in the glass for a moment. The blonde wig and blue contacts I had on only disguised me in small ways, but the way my time in prison changed me was what really did the trick. My skin had turned pale and sickly looking compared to the tan glow it had before. On top of that my physique had become a bit frail. Despite the weaknesses I had gained, I used them to my advantage. No one would think to suspect me for the things I've done, which delighted me. 

I loved when people didn't know what was coming for them.

A smirk spread across my face momentarily as I finally knocked on the door. As I had expected it took Shawn several minutes to open up. He was clearly taken aback by the sight of his pet in my arms.

"Um, hi Mia."

"Hey there, Shawn. I saw this little lady running around a few minutes ago and I figured I should find out where she belonged. It's funny that it led me here. We seem to be running into each other a lot." I tell him with a laugh. 

He hastily took Mae from my arms questioning, "Where did you find her?"

"I saw her just up the road and she still had her leash on." I explain and hand him Mae's leash that I had tucked under my arm. 

He paled slightly and I could picture the wheels turning in his head, wondering where Ashley could've gone. "So, she was alone?"

"Yeah, she was. Is everything alright?"

He shook his head frantically and muttered, "Ashley should have been with her. She would never even think about doing something like this to Mae."

"You don't think she's hurt, do you? You should call her." I suggest.

"I can't, she left her phone here." He tells me and holds the door open for me to follow him into the living room. 

"Did she leave you any messages?" I ask, pretending that I was mentally grasping at straws over what to do. 

Shawn walked over to the coat rack and pulled out his cellphone. I watched him go through his phone and then his worried expression fell into a devastated one. His voice came out in a hollow tone as he read out, "I need some alone time, don't try to find me."

"Did she write that?"

He gave a small nod. 

"Is that all?"

He turns his sad blue eyes to me asking, "Why would she leave like this?" 

If I had been a different person the hopelessness I saw in him would have broken my heart. Sadly, for him, the only thing it made me feel was satisfaction.  

Shawn's P.O.V. 

I took in the message she had left me once more, feeling a growing sense of unease in my chest. What would possess her to disappear like this? Then it dawned on me, maybe she hadn't been the one to write it. I shifted my gaze back to Mia and found myself questioning if this woman actually was Vanessa. Part of me wanted to disregard the idea, tell myself that I was being ridiculous, but what if I was right?

"Did you two have a fight recently or something?" Mia questioned.  

A sudden sense of dizziness and nausea over took me and I knew that I needed to get her out of this house, before I managed to black out again.

"We have, but I didn't think it was really this bad. I've been staying with a friend of mine for a few weeks and yesterday was the first day I had come back since then." I explain and I thought to myself, 'Why am I telling her all this?

She frowned at that saying, "Well, I can try to help you in any way I can, you just tell me what you want me to do."

I shook my head and that only managed to make me start seeing spots. I needed her gone. At least for Ainsley's safety. 

"I just need to be alone right now, so I can sort all of this out." I tell her and stumble to the front door.

Her eyebrows scrunched together in what appeared to be concern. "Are you going to be okay, Shawn?"  

"Huh? Of course, I'll be fine. I've just not been feeling well lately."

"Are you sick?" She pressed and part of me started to think she was trying to stall her having to leave.  

"I'm not sure what's been going on with me, but I really need to lie down for a bit. So, I'll see you later." I said as I held the door open for her.

She gave me a sad smile, "I hope you feel better soon."

Something about her comment felt insincere, but I ignored it. I just wanted her to get out. 

When Mia finally left the house, I watched her walk away until my body started to shake from simply standing up. All I could manage to do without fear of managing to hurt myself was lie down on the floor and a moment later, the darkness finally took over me. 

I fell into a troubled sleep. Dreams of Ashley crying out for me and blood covering everything, seemed to be the main focus of them. There was something in my gut telling me that there was more to them than just being simple nightmares. 

And her voice sounded so far away as she pleaded, "Shawn... Tell me why did you do this? Why?"