Chapter 1

'Heroes always pay in their blood.'

Struggle is an unavoidable part of life, along with heartache, and fear, but failure to get passed these things is only caused by not trying and the inability to see it coming in the first place. My battles have never been because of a lack of trying; I was simply blinded by the darkness over me.  

"Do you love me?"

"No."

"Oh you're a liar!"

"Stop that! It tickles!" I shout chuckling.

Shawn smirked, tickling me some more and murmured, "That's the point. Now admit that you love me."

I raised an eyebrow and grinned wickedly, "How exactly are you going to make me do that?"

He gave a low laugh, his blue eyes turning slightly darker as he spoke, "Oh I have my ways."

He crawled onto my lap, straddling my waste before leaning down to bite my neck and suddenly we heard a small voice, making Shawn pull back.

"Mommy?" She called rubbing her small eyes; she had clearly just woken up. 

I sat up and Shawn rolled off of me to let me get off the bed. I made my way to her, scooping her up into my arms as I asked, "Hey honey what are you doing up so late again?"

She pressed her face into my shoulder shaking her head lightly.

"Did you have another bad dream?"

She nodded this time saying, "You not wake up again."

I sighed, hugged her gently, "Well it was just a dream, I'm okay. Come let's go back to bed."

I carried her to her room across the hall, not bothering to turn on the light. I laid her on the bed tucking her sheets and comforter back around her. Her large brown eyes, something that she inherited from my grandmother, stared up at me as I put her back in place.

"But momma, it was another lady that made you not wake up." She whispered looking somewhat scared.

I tried to ignore how much that bothered me as I said, "Hey don't you worry about that, and I'm not going anywhere ever. I'll always be right here with you."

She nodded, slowly closing her eyes, and I stayed by her bedside till I was sure she had fallen asleep. I quietly made my way back to Shawn and I's room and I found that he was laying there waiting for me looking slightly concerned.

"She told me that she dreamt someone else killed me this time." I tell him, my voice heavy with dread.

He sat up pulling me to him, "It's just a dream Ashley."

"It's not the fact that it's about me that bugs me, Ainsley is two she shouldn't be having dreams like this."

"Come on, it's late and you need some sleep from all your stressing. I promise you she'll be okay, it's just a faze little kids go through. She's gonna have nightmares and you can't stop that, but you can be there for when she wakes up; that's all we can do." Shawn explains as he pulls me back into bed and his arms. A tiny part of me was worried for myself because you know what they say about repeating dreams.

They can come true.

 **********************************************************

It's small, but do you like the start?