34. Wedding Day

The Summer heat shows its mercy today for the wedding that had Niall and his friends on edge for months.In fact, even a cool breeze was blowing through.

Louis parks his car outside. His hands tremble as he gazes around the lot, cars packed together. He sighs as he pulls his keys out of the ignition and walks toward his little dressing room. He smiles at the classy decorated chairs that are draped with hues of pink taffy and white.

Best Man written on a chalkboard hanging up greets him as he opens the door. His tailored suit is hanging, taunting him. He removes his shirt slowly and questions if he's able to fulfill his duties.

Feeling his throat tighten, he opens the door to get some fresh air.

"Harry!" He squeals, his cheeks turning red. "You shouldn't be looking at me like this!"

"Well, I know it's a superstition to not let the groom see the bride before the wedding but lucky for you, we're neither," Harry chuckles.

Louis doesn't meet his gaze as he opts to stare at the ground. "No, I mean...like this...." He replies slowly as he walks back into his dressing room.

Harry follows him as he guides Louis to a small bench in front of the mirror. He removes Louis's arm from his waist and smiles at him fondly. "You look amazing," he purrs. "And the smile that you've been wearing lately is just an added bonus."

He continues to compliment Louis as he cautiously puts his hand on the small of Louis's waist. He can feel Louis flinch for a second, but relax just as quickly. "I'd like you to be happy with me."

Louis opens his mouth to speak but words are caught in his throat. He throws his arms around Harry's neck - the place he often reatrst to when he's upset. Harry feels the moist combination of tears and hot breath pooling on his skin. He rubs Louis back tenderly, and as always, lets the moments pass - allowing him to feel instead of trying to rush it away.

"Like I said, all the time in the world for you." Harry reassures him, kissing him on the head and leaving him to let him get ready in peace.

Louis wipes his face on his sleeve as he looks in the mirror and practices smiling. As the best man, he thinks, it's his duty to make sure that Niall has the best day possible. Nothing needs to get in the way of that, especially not his own negative self-talk. No matter what, he vows he's going to smile and be happy for his friend. He is happy for Niall, he remembers.

"You can do this," he says, poking himself in the mirror.

He fastens the buttons of his white undershirt, layering the periwinkle vest on top, followed by his black suit jacket. so he put on his white undershirt, periwinkle vest, and black suit jacket and stood tall. He gives himself a glance over and tries to smile.

When he opens the door, he hears ruffling from next door. He reads the words groom and lets himself in.

"This is it, huh?" Niall sways, unsteady on his feet. He's smiling, but looks anxious, too.

"This is it," Louis repeats.

"I can't feel my knees," Niall giggles. "So nervous."

"Maisie will make a wonderful Horan, don't worry. Just be yourself." Louis stands with his hands in his pocket. "Just do as we've been practicing and don't be clumsy."

Niall looks on as he takes his place in the back of the line, Louis in front of him. He hugs him from behind. The pianist begins to play soft music. Ushers and bridesmaids begin to walk down the aisle, taking their places on the side of the altar.

"You can do this, you can do this!" Louis chants to himself, giving his vest a small tug.

His knees shake. Liam, Zayn, Ed, and Shawn look on, waiting for the others to make it down the aisle. Harry stands beside Zayn, his eyes locking with Louis, who is already staring at him, smiling.