9. Pinky Promise

To say he's nervous is an understatement. After all, he only rehearsed the day he would have this chance to prove his worth a million times. It did not matter one bit that his friends would disagree with him and point out all the past abuse that he chooses to ignore, for he knows that before all of that negativity began, his high-school sweetheart was in there somewhere.

Besides, is it really abuse if he deserved it?

Clay is the man he longed to be with for all the days, for better or worse. Relationships are meant to be complex, never perfect, and what is life without forgiveness? Maybe Clay was right when he called him fat, ugly, and worthless.

As he entered his apartment, throwing his messenger bag onto the decorative chair, he knows he has to look perfect. He walks over to his closet and shuffles through his closet as if he hadn't ever seen his own wardrobe. He rips pieces off the racks, not sure which outfit will look for the best. He only has one chance to convince Clay he's good enough.

Settling on a periwinkle sweater that is now too big, he smiles. He runs his fingers over the cashmere fabric, feeling the soft and exquisite material. He styles his hair into a retro quaff and applies a bit of bronzer on his cheekbones to try and conceal his pale complexion. The final step is shoes, but that's easy: low-top sneakers to match perfectly with the white distressed skinny jeans.

He enters his kitchen as he cocks an eyebrow at the man sitting at his kitchen table. "Harry, what are you doing here?"

"You look lovely. That shade really brings out the shimmer in your eyes. I just figured you'd like some company is all. I can leave if you want. I brought some oatmeal cookies," Harry says, opening the container.

Cinnamon and raisins fill the air, making Louis grin at the tall man. "Thank you. Since you're here, I need to vent, but you have to promise you won't tell Niall."

"Hmm...I'm really good with secrets, so I cross my heart," Harry retorts, intrigued. His eyes focus on the sparkling cheekbones. "You look really nice."

Blushing, Louis continues. "You have to pinky promise!"

Instantly intertwining their pinkies, Harry nods, sealing the promise.

"I have a date tonight!" Louis squeals.

Harry tries to contain his pout by biting on his lower lip. "I'm happy for you! What is he like?"

"Well, here's the secret....it's Clay!" Louis exclaims. "That's why you can't tell Niall; he'd lock me in my room or something and not let me go."

Harry opens his mouth to speak, then closes it again, repeating the movement several times like a fish. "Oh...."

"No, it's not what you think. I saw him at the vending machines, and my teammates were there, too. He said he's changed, and I'd really like to see if that's true or not? I know, I know. He hit me a few times, but you find me a perfect person...."

"Well, I hope you're careful tonight. You don't deserve to be mistreated."

"Thank you," Louis beams at him before putting his head down staring at his hands. "Do you think he'll like me?"

"I think....well, it doesn't matter what I think. He'll love you, I promise. Have fun tonight. Here's my number just in case you need someone. I won't tell Niall!" Harry scoots his chair back and stretches. "I had fun last night, by the way. Maybe I can come over this weekend, and we can eat apple crisp and watch a movie or something...." Fearing rejection, he feels his cheeks flush as he rushes to the door.

He almost turns the doorknob until he feels frail arms wrap around his torso and a head push into his back. "I'd like that. Thanks for everything."