Best Friends - Chapter 1

I Haven't Even Had My First Kiss Yet.

Best Friends - Chapter 1

"Hey, Mia," Lia calls to me, trying to get my attention. "What's up? You were just sitting there as though in a daze."

My cheeks flush red and I laugh half-heartedly, "Oh, nothing really. I was just thinking silly, silly thoughts." I hit my forehead softly, all the while just thinking how really silly I am. How could I even come to thinking thoughts like those? It's so strange. I guess it's because I still haven't experienced real love. I fold my arms on the desk, my chin propped right on top of them. "Have you ever been in love?"

Lia's eyes widen, "Huh? Where'd that come from?" That's what she replies, but in the end, after thinking it over a while in her head, she just shrugs. "Yeah, I have. But, it didn't turn out for the best. He already had a girlfriend and I just knew I had to resign myself. I respect the boys who are already taken, and I know when I have to just give up and call it quits." She looks up at me, a horrified expression clear on her face, "I mean, imagine that happened to one of us? We most definitely wouldn't like a girl who would keep trying to get our boyfriends," shakes her head, "No siree."

In spite of it all, I giggle. "You're right about that!" There really are those girls who wouldn't give up a guy, tie him up in a marriage with lies, and just the whole enchilada. Trying to look at all the girls in the class, my eyes bounce from one direction to another. There are girls with such innocent-looking faces, yet when you look at what they were exactly wearing, you're eyes would bulge out of their sockets. Letting out a blow of useless air, I give an undecided smile. Deciding to lay my head lazily on-top of my desk, my eyes fixate on a girl I hadn't seen in the longest time.

Nelly Collins.

My eyes blink more than usual, the realization hitting me hard - almost like a slap square in the face. We used to be best friends. Used to be, used to be, used to be, my mind repeats all too knowingly. I purse my lips begrudgingly, disgusted by the phrase. If I could pick any phrase in the English language that completely repulsed me, it would be that one.

Eyes closing for a bit, I let my mind spiral - horrible memories all ready plaguing everything inside my head. Horrible memories of the day that Nelly's friendship had ended with me.

I was in a hurry to my next class back in like elementary school that I accidentally forget my notebook and end up running back to my other class. Yet, when I arrive there, all I see is Nelly getting my notebook and ripping all of the pages out, her eyes withholding tears. I tilt my head, confused by her action.

Jogging up to where she is, I ask, "Nelly, why did you like massacre my notebook?"

Sighing heavily she replies, "I had nothing else better do," A big sarcastic smile plastered onto her face.

Glaring at her, I say "No, I'm serious. Why would you do something like that to me?" Feeling the undecided ness of the entire situation.

"Relax, Mia. It was just a notebook."

Looking down at the hand with my notebook, I snatch it right from her. "I got this notebook from my teacher. You know I can't really afford any" I say furiously.

Grabbing my shoulders hurtfully, she repeats "It's just a notebook."

I frown at her, "That's no excuse to tear it up as though it were your own, Nelly." Ripping myself away from her, I slowly make my way toward the doorway. Finally at the door, I tilt my head to her, "We are no longer friends." About to make way for my next class, I stop short, and tilt my head back in "Wait, no longer 'best friends'", a small smirk playing at my lips after that slightly corrected remark.

I didn't wait long enough to see her reaction or what she would say next. That would be pointless. I wanted to just know why she had done that to me. Those were the questions that arose in my mind that had never been answered. Her answers were so unrealistic that I knew in my head at the time that that was not all there was to it; that there was more to it than she let out.

Opening my eyes slightly, they land over to where she currently is. All she is doing is looking toward the classroom window like I had done not too long ago. I wonder what's gotten into her. Is she copying me? Ugh. Get a life is all I wanted to yell at her.

All of us in the classroom have a substitute at the moment. Lia and I have all ready finished the assignment and we both know what that meant - an early stroll through the hallways. Patting me hard on the head with the palm of her hand, Lia cheerfully says "Let's go, Mia! You really need to stop taking naps."

Laughing at what she said, I reply "Okay, okay, sheesh..." I pack up my binder into my backpack and then put my backpack behind me onto my shoulders.

We both walk up to the substitute ready to hand in our work. "Here you go, Mrs. Roberts." We both say simultaneously, handing our work to her.

Smiling at us, she let's us go.

We walk out the classroom and cruise through the hallways. Weirdness? I know, but she's an awesome sub like that. Other than that, she'd be so boring and be like those cliched subs who just give you work and then let you listen to music once you're done. Lia and I have known Mrs. Roberts as a sub for a long time and she's so liberal. It's something that just always makes her a special substitute teacher, and be different from all the rest - the boring ones which I explained before. That is exactly what distinguishes her. To me, she is amazing. To Lia, I have no idea. All I can say is that as long as Mrs. Roberts keeps trying to become an official teacher, I will continue to see her as one of the best and one of the most unique of all.

My long brown hair sways side-to-side as I keep going at my pace, following my footsteps. A smile escaping, I let my eyes flutter closely. Lia is behind me, following my lead, and doing the same exact silly things that I am doing. It makes me feel great, ecstatic, and just plain-old free. Tilting my whole head upwards, I inhale and exhale a breath of new profound air. The air resonates and remains in my nostrils, though truly, the sensations and feelings inside are definitely different.

Accidentally bumping harshly onto someone, we both go tumbling down onto the ground. As my eyes flutter openly, I get the chance to see who exactly it is that I had bumped into. And, to my utter shock, it had been none other than Dave Hutcherson.

And, to my astonishment, my lip had burst. I don't know from what, but it did indeed hurt like hell. My finger lifts up to my lip and smothers over it, eventually making it's way before my eyes. The blood clearly evident, I instantly flare up. Not even sparing a glance at Dave, I say "Look what you did!"

"And look at what you did!" He retorts back, equally as angry.

I take a momentary glance his way, and instantly find the same bursted lip on him as well.

We both look at each other, surprise and bewilderment clouding up our faces. "H-How is that even possible?"

Hearing a fit of chuckles, we both look over at Lia. I had even forgotten she was still standing there. "You both kissed is what makes those bursted lips possible," more chuckles. Lia clutches a hold of her stomach, the laughter never subsiding.