Click Clack Away

I slid on my hot pink Sperry's and stared at them for a moment. I wiggled my toes around in the shoe and thought for another second. These are cute. I looked up at Jazzy who was fluffing her already poofy hair in the mirror.

"What do you think Jazz?" I asked holding my foot in the air. "Over kill?"

"Nah you gucci" she answered.

I put on some lip gloss and smacked my lips together. I passed the lip gloss to Jazzy and I stood in the mirror checking out my booty. "Hey I just met you and this is crazy, but here's my number. So call me maybe" Carly sang. Yes it is kind of cheesy for any person's ringer, but when it fits someone well there's no denying it. I pushed my other birthday gifts aside and grabbed my phone and unplugged it from the charger. I clicked Answer and held the phone to my ear.

"Hello" I said.

"What happened chicita?" Angel asked.

"What're you... Ohhh!! I am so sorry I was a lil' bit busy yesterday" I said playing with my nails.

"Who is it?" Jazzy whispered.

"Angel" I mouthed.

"There's a pool party over at Shantae house. You wanna come as my date?" Angel asked.

"Umm yeah sure" I answered.

"You know her right?"

"Mhmm yeah we were in kindergarten together"

"Okay cool. We'll Javier wants to know if Jazmond can come too?"

"Hol' on lemme get her"

I covered the mouth piece on the phone and asked Jazzy if she could come. She nodded her head and I waited a few seconds before putting the phone back to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Yeah I'm still here mami" he answered.

"Yeah she said she can go" I said adding a sigh.

"Awesome. I'll pick you up at eight" he replied.

"Sounds good" I said.

"Ohh I forgot to tell you happy birthday mami" he cheered.

I smiled and laughed.

"How did you know it was my birthday!!" I exclaimed into the phone.

"A little birdie" he responded.

"Yeah whatever. I gotta go. See you later"

I hung up and then put my phone in my back pocket. I was acting so disinterested in Angel for two reasons. One, I want to see if he's really in to me or after something else if you catch my drift. Two, I just want him to chase me instead of the other way around. I did this all the time, unlike most girls, I knew how to do it correctly. Don't blow him off more than once, he'll get pissed off and give up. Don't show up late ever, it's just not cool. Don't keep him waiting, that'll really piss him off. But, don't answer the phone or his questions too quickly. Too slow makes it seems like your not even paying attention, which no one likes and too fast makes it seem like you were expecting his call. But the only tricky thing about this whole game is, when do you stop?

"Imani, Jazzy!! Someone's down stairs for you!!" my mom called.

I looked over at Jazzy, who was just as confused as I was and shrugged my shoulders. I quickly crossed out a day on my calendar and circled today. July 1st; My birthday! Yes!! I'm officially sixteen!!

"Coming!!" I yelled back.

Jazzy and I fixed eachother's hair, lip gloss, and did a smell check, then ran down stairs to see who it was.