58 - Morley

DRACULA INDEX_0027
>>Morley//encrypted text
<00.03.1915>

Coded diary of Sylvanus Griswold Morley
March 1915

I have traveled over a thousand miles across the countryside of Central America as a secret agent for the Office of Naval Intelligence in the hopes of uncovering clandestine activities of German operatives. The spy game is a difficult one. I may have inadvertently brought attention to myself recently while gathering intel to the east in a region I believed to be housing a hidden submarine base. I sent a detailed analysis of the situation via telegram through our undisclosed channel before being apprehended by the local government. Thankfully, my cover as an archeologist conducting scholarly research on the Mayan civilization has set me free once again, and my photographic equipment was returned unharmed. My continued thanks go out to Mr. Parsons in the new Department of Anthropology at the Carnegie Institute for arranging legitimate operational cover.

Unfortunately, it is clear that I am not entirely trusted and will be forced to carry out my proposed exploration in the Peninsula of Yucatan in case I am being watched. Hopefully, they aren't planning to isolate me from civilization before the real questioning begins. Regardless of the risks, I plan to head south to evaluate the hidden monument of Chichen Itza. I have been trained by members of the Secret Service and the Bureau of Investigation, so I am abundantly aware of the risks and prepared to defend myself if necessary.

 I have been trained by members of the Secret Service and the Bureau of Investigation, so I am abundantly aware of the risks and prepared to defend myself if necessary