19 - Ezzelin

DRACULA INDEX_0001
>>Klatka//handwritten
<16.12.1461>

To Matthias Corvinus, the worshipful King of Hungary, be this letter taken.

Have enter'd Wallachia with the finest mercenaries from your Black Army in search of the Prince. I am very well assured, for they are fearless with the arquebus, wielding gunpowder as if it were as inexpensive as clay. We avoid the Turks, traveling in the wake of many conflicts. I am led by the stars, upon your advice, with only the king's astrologer for guidance. Charged to write an account of the success or failure of this journey, I will go forth and retrieve Vlad Tepes, the Dracula, and convince him of Hungarian loyalty before his recklessness touches your throne. This double-dealing ally of yours has quite a reputation with the villagers. As far as I was able to judge, the stories of suffering and impalement are accurate. At first light, we will traverse the mountain pass. A gypsy woman told us of one thousand Muslim warriors moving in such a direction. The tracks on the earth show a number far greater. Shall know more on the morrow. I ask, in case any persons shall happen to perish, that our remains be collect'd and distributed to our homelands.

Am sending this missive by way of my young rider.

Writ in haste on the sixteenth of December, Fourteen Hundred and Sixty-One

Ezzelin von Klatka