Chapter 4

Dedicated to Shakespeare169 for being a funny and epic person. And for opening my eyes to new ideas and whatnot. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Arrival

“Yes! Training today!” Wendy then proceeded to do a celebratory jig around her room. “Happy, happy, I’m SOOOOOO happy!” She sang, knocking over various items around the room. It didn’t matter, she wouldn’t be staying there for a while anyway. “LalalaLAAA!”

“Oh, shut your mouth!” A sleepy voice called from down the hall. “Do you know what time it is?”

“It’s time to go to training and fly planes!” Wendy sang. “Oh happy day!”

“No, it’s FOUR O’ CLOCK IN THE GODDAMNED MORNING.”

“And I’m leaving at six, sooo perfectly normal!” Wendy replied, still singing.

Walking downstairs, she realised that she wasn’t the only person up early this morning. Her parents were sitting stiffly at the table, glaring at each other from opposite sides.

“JOE! ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY LOCK HIS WIFE OUT OF THEIR BEDROOM AND FORCE HER TO SLEEP ON THE SOFA!” Serena yelled at Joe extremely forcefully.

“SERENA! ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY SUPPORT AND EVEN ENCOURAGE HER SON AND DAUGHTER SWITCHING GENDERS!” Joe screamed back, mockingly.

“Mum? Dad? Are you alright?” Wendy asked tentatively, slowly walking down the stairs. “Cause you know, if you want me to go back upstairs so you can continue to debate this matter…”

“No, no, come down,” Serena said, interrupting Wendy’s sentence. You need some breakfast; you’re leaving in what, and hour and a half? Then we don’t know how long it’ll be before we see you again! And for God’s sake get your brother up too!”

“Don’t worry mum, Wen-I mean William woke me up decades ago with his girlish squealing,” William said, appearing at the top of the stairs rubbing his eyes. Serena looked at Wendy seriously.

“From now on, no more girlish squealing. No more girlish anything.”

“Yes ma’am!” Wendy replied in a deeper voice, saluting her mother.

One hour and forty-five minutes later, Wendy and her family was standing on the platform of the almost-local train station, where the family had ten minutes before the train that would take her to Dolper arrived to say their goodbyes.

“Stay safe, brother, alright?” William asked worriedly in his girl form. Wendy had to admit that he brother made a very convincing girl—and possibly even one more feminine than she herself was. Wendy hoped that a sudden new extremely girly Wendy would not confuse her friends too much. Of course, Katrina would always be on hand to keep William in line.

“Of course I will, Wendy. Trust me.”

Stepping off at Dolper station, Wendy stopped, and simply looked around. Knowing that this would probably be the last few minutes of freedom she would get in a while, she simply soaked in the warm, sunny air, before tapping a passers-by’s shoulder and asking “excuse me, do you know how to get to the initial training camp?”

Having received plausible directions to the camp, Wendy hoisted her bag back onto her shoulder and set off on the ten minute walk, praying to herself that her disguise wouldn’t be thwarted.

Meanwhile, somewhere to the North-East of where Wendy was making her way towards her home for the next six months, William was picking out dresses from a pile on the bed.

“Here, try that one; it doesn’t look too girly, does it?” Serena asked, pointing at a plain brown shirt and skirt.

“But mum! I want this one!” William pouted, hugging a pale pink coloured and floral dress close to his torso. “I think it brings out my eyes!”

Finally, Serena and William compromised on a baby blue polka dotted and a bright yellow and white striped dress.

They didn’t realise that Joe was standing behind them discreetly giggling the entire time.

Dragging her bag which now seemed like it was ten times heavier than before through the gates of the camp, which was situated on the top of a hill, Wendy immediately noticed the sign which had a giant arrow pointing to the right on it and naturally decided to follow the bright sign. Walking along the path, she reached a small hut which appeared to be for new recruits. Wendy noticed that she appeared to be one of the first people to arrive at the camp, as there were only a couple of people milling around.

Taking a deep breath and plastering a determined look on her face, Wendy marched right into the hut, where there was a small queue of about three people in front of her. After waiting patiently, it was finally her turn at the front of the table.

“Name?”

“We-William Wildboar,” Wendy responded, once again catching herself right at the last moment.

“Papers, please.”

Silently thanking the Gods that the man had not picked up on her mishap, Wendy handed her papers over. The man quickly skimmed over the writing and signatures before nodding to himself and handing her a pair of khaki shorts, a khaki shirt, black shoes, and khaki stockings. They really seemed to love khaki.

“This will be your uniform for the initial training. There are huts outside; two people sharing a hut. We don’t care who you share with, go find a friend. Good luck, and welcome to Dolper initial training camp.”

Wendy thanked the man before walking out with her new clothes strung over one arm and her still-heavy bag carried on the other. Pausing just outside the doorway, she looked around the camp, contemplating which hut she should choose to stay in.

“Hey, you look kind of lost,” a young man who looked around her age said to her, approaching where she was standing with a friendly smile on his face. He was just a bit taller than average, had an average build, and was blond with sparkling sky blue eyes.

“Um, yeah, I was just thinking of which hut to stay in,” Wendy replied, also smiling, although it was slightly awkward and forced; she didn’t want to seem rude, but she also didn’t want to trust anyone too quickly, whilst all the while thinking that he looked a typical blond idiot.

“Well, I’m by myself at the moment, would you like to room with me?” William asked. Upon seeing Wendy nod enthusiastically, and gestured towards the right. “Just this way.”

Wendy followed her newfound friend, once again thanking the Gods that there was such a friendly man here to help her out. After setting her bag on the floor inside her new home, the man introduced himself.

“Bob Jones, 20 years old,” he said, shaking her hand.

“William Wildboar, 19,” Wendy replied. “Thanks for offering to share a hut with me.”

“It was no problem, really,” Bob said. “Can I call you Will?”

Bob smiled another one of his bright smiles when Wendy nodded her consent. What was that about not trusting anyone too quickly again?

To hell with that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN: So I am aware that I have not updated in ages. I really have no excuse, except that I have been abducted by the awesomeness of Jeremy Renner. Uhm...I had a bunch of awesome things to say here, but I appear to have forgotten. So yeah, in case you haven't realised I am slightly obsessed with war and stuff. And I love the Air Force so much, I'm actually joining the air force cadets in a few months. Uh......yeah....bye. Expect an update sometime in the future. Ciao!