Chapter 2

For the awesome cover! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transformed 

“You want to what?

Wendy grimaced, even though she had half anticipated this reaction.

“Be a boy…?” Wendy replied, giving him her best puppy dog look. Which wasn’t very good.

“Urgh, stop making that face, it’s ugly. Why do you want to be a boy again?”

“Errr…to go to…uh…war…?”

“WHAT THE- WHY IN LORD’S NAME WOULD YOU WANT TO GO TO WAR FOR?” he screamed, before calming down a bit. Wendy uncovered her ears, which unfortunately had suffered permanent damage. “I mean, don’t you know of the dangers? Don’t you know you’ll probably get killed?

“Of course I know the dangers, you git! But seeing as you don’t want to go, someone has to take your place, moron! And seeing as I want to go, I would be the perfect candidate for a replacement!”

“Since when did you know I didn’t want…?” William paused. “Oh.”

“Exactly! See, my plan is flawless!”

“Except for the fact that you don’t look like a boy and I don’t look like a girl,” William pointed out.

“Make-up, brother. Make-up,” Wendy answered.

“Oh, maybe hair and clothes may help as well,” Wendy added as an afterthought.  

“Fine! Let’s work out the conditions though. Number one: our parents must know. Number 2; uh, I can’t think of one. So, deal?”

“Deal.”

“Thank you so much William,” Wendy said quietly. “I owe you one.” 

“Hell yeah you do!” William yelled.

“Way to ruin a moment, jeez.”

“Moment? What moment?” a voice came from the open doorway.

“Mum! Dad! We were just about to tell you something!” William exclaimed, and then gave Wendy a pointed look.

“Get on with it then!” William and Wendy’s mum demanded. “I need to go cook dinner, you know.”

“Well, you see, England is currently at war against Germany.”

“We know we’re in war, we aren’t stupid,” Wendy’s dad Joe interrupted.

“Uhh, ok. Well, your son,” Wendy said, looking at William, “is not brave enough to go and fight for his county.”

“So,” William continued, “we thought that she could go instead of me. Wait, did you just call me a coward?”

“Stop going off topic,” Serena, Wendy and William’s mum, cut in. “Like I said before, I need to go cook dinner.”

“Well,” Wendy explained, “we thought that since you know I love guns and fighting and planes and Will here just loves, well, girls, we could pull a switcheroo and swap lives until the end of the war. It’s foolproof!”

“Whoa! Hold your horses Wendy. Since when were you so…so violent and so unladylike?” Joe asked, with a disapproving tone and matching look on his face.

“Honey, I actually support Wendy. It’s what she wants to do, you can’t stop her,” Serena shot back at her husband, “and plus, I’ve always wanted to see what it felt like to cut all of someone’s hair off.”