Girl in the Front Line

For making me write a story. Kidding! For inspiring me to write. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The beginning of the beginning of the middle of the middle of the end of the end.

SEPTEMBER 3rd 1939

THE TELEGRAPH

ENGLAND DECLARES WAR ON GERMANY

By Tommy Mix 

Two days ago, Germany invaded Poland. Today, Britain, as well as our unlikely ally France, has declared war on Germany. This country is now in war. All young men between the ages of 18 and 38 and are in good health are advised to go to the nearest recruitment office to prepare for the war and receive honour for defending their country…

Wendy Leslie Wildboar threw the newspaper down angrily, almost drowning the unfortunate small blue fish it landed on.

“Oh! I do apologise dearly, newspaper and Flo!” Wendy exclaimed.  “I’m just not very happy with this sentence.”

She rescued the soggy paper from the fish tank and drew a rough circle around the words; ‘All young men between the ages of 18 and 38’.

“That is utterly ridiculous! Why can’t I go to war?” Wendy asked Flo, her small blue fish. Flo swam in a circle and wiggled his tail in response.    

“Because you’re a girl.”

“F-Flo? Did you just talk?”

“Why yes, fish can talk.”           

Wendy turned around and saw her brother, William.

“Why can’t girls go to war? That’s so unfair! It’s not like boys are smarter than girls!”

“Uh, but we’re stronger, which is more important in war than being smart.”

“I disagree, if you weren’t smart, you wouldn’t have tactics!”

“I’m not going to argue with you anymore, Wendy. I have better things to do.”

“Like what? Did you finally get yourself a lover?”

William huffed and stormed out of the room.

After exactly 38 seconds, he leisurely strolled back in.

“You do know that I will have to go to war soon, right? I really don’t want to go though…”

With that, he turned around and walked out again.

“Mood swings much?”

Wendy turned back to the fish tank and stared at Flo for a couple of minutes, with Flo staring back the whole time.  All the while, there was an ingenious, but highly ridiculous plan formulating in her rather smart head.  But she would need to enlist her brother’s help, and obviously she couldn’t ask now, as William seemed quite mad at her. Perhaps she would try her luck tomorrow.

Tomorrow came, and Wendy could not scrounge up the courage to ask her brother of such a big favour. She was by no means shy, but this was a big ask.

The day after the tomorrow, she decided to ask her close friend Katrina for friendly advice.

“If I wanted to ask my brother a big favour, hypothetically of course, and I’m simply not brave enough, what should I do?”