#5

#5

Monday 14th October 2013

Dear Anna,

So our first food ration came today. There was hardly anything decent in it – I’m really glad Dad decided to stock up on canned foods earlier. Who would’ve thought that his paranoia would actually come in handy?

          Literally, our food ration consisted of a loaf of bread, a jar of raspberry jam, porridge, tea, eggs. Shit like that. The worst thing was, it was either eat it or starve. You couldn’t afford to be fussy. Not in times like this.

          The world had literally gone to shit. Think I’m exaggerating? Allow me to change your mind.

          The internet had gone down.

          I’ll just give you a moment to absorb that little tid-bit. I’ll even repeat it for you.

          There’s no fucking internet anymore.

          You could practically hear the screams of thousands of teenagers across the nation. I don’t know what happened, or even precisely when it happened, but the internet is no longer with us.

          Rest in peace, baby, rest in peace.

          I realised that it was down when I went to Whatsapp my friends to see how everyone was doing. To see if anyone else was sick. I guess now I’d never know. I’m not even sure I want to know. I get the feeling that the answer would juts depress me...

          It’s weird because I’ve never felt so isolated from the world. It was always there, easily accessible with just the click of a button, and now it’s just...gone.

          I’m in a house with two other people but I’ve never felt so alone.

          But I refuse to be the type to wallow in self pity. I need to be active. I need to do something. At first I tried studying, but when my will to live quickly began to disappear, I gave that up and decided to do something useful with myself.

          Ladies and gentlemen, I, Adira Carrington, decided to voluntarily work out. And by that, I mean do legit exercise. Who would’ve thought it, eh? All it took was the end of the world to get my butt in gear!

          I’m starting simple, just doing some sit ups and push ups to get my stamina to a comfortable level. I also did some laps of our garden until my legs felt like they’d collapse beneath me. Now I’m all sweaty and horrible, but I feel weirdly proud. I get the feeling that this type of shit will become a normal thing for me now.

          Yay.

          Once I actually get in shape, I decided that I’ll even start doing some shit with my katana. It’s just stood on my wall looking pretty for too long now. I wanna be like all those people from my TV shows and be a badass warrior bitch. What better way to do that than to start learning how to use my katana?

          I actually always meant to learn how to use it. I’d even bought a book on the technicalities of it, which lay in one of the many book piles stacked on my shelves. I’d just never had the time or opportunity to learn until now.

          I can tell Dad and Wyatt think I’m a bit mental, even more so than usual, but I really don’t give a shit. They haven’t said anything but the looks are there, alerting me to their growing concern for my sanity. Which is just fine and dandy, thank you very much! I guess they were just happy I wasn’t constantly bugging them. So I have a tendency to annoy anyone and everyone when I’m bored. Sue me!

          Oh shit, Dad’s calling me down for ‘dinner’. It’s code for ‘shit on a plate disguised as food’.

          I kid you not.

          Talk soon!

          Adira x