Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I hid behind the corner, trying to keep my breaths quiet. “I’ll find you Brix, it won’t be that difficult” he smirked, walking down the hallway slowly. No matter how much I tried to stay quiet my breaths were still sharp in his ears. “Look Brix, you should stop hiding or I’ll make things worse for you, trust me” he smirked, purring ever so slightly. I scrunched my eyes up.

I screamed as he dragged me away from my hiding spot by my hair, but he pushed his hand over my mouth to muffle the screams. I bit down on his hand but he was too strong and before long I began to feel light headed from the lack of air, and passed out in his arms. I could hear him laughing but quietly to himself as I suddenly felt weightless as he picked me up.

“Gwen won’t mind, ha she’ll never find out” he smirked, talking to himself. Lyle frowned and looked up at him as they bumped into each other.

“What are you doing with Brix?” he frowned, looking down at me. Patrique growled at Lyle and laughed.

“Whatever I want, I’m allowed to anyway” Patrique smirked, twirling a curl of my hair. Lyle growled at him.

“Let go of her! She’s Scott’s, not yours! You have Gwen; let Scott have someone for once instead of stealing from him!” Lyle yelled, tears forming in his eyes.

“You’re getting protective again Lyle, it’s actually kind of cute. You can’t take the fact that Scott will never like you back and you also can’t bear to see him alone. But if he’s with someone, then you’re sad because that will never be you” Patrique said with fake sympathy. Lyle felt the tears run down his face.

“You think this is funny, don’t you. You like seeing other people hurt. You only want Brix to hurt Scott and you know by hurting Scott you hurt me. What have I ever done to make you hate me?” Lyle sobbed.

That was a hard question for Patrique to answer. He placed me carefully on the floor and looked up at Lyle who continued to cry. With a slight smile, he hugged Lyle and handed him a tissue to wipe his tears with; even he’d forgotten why he hated him. All he knew was before Lyle got turned, they had a big argument over something and he just hated him from then on.

“I don’t like seeing people hurt, I just end up making people sad a lot” Patrique sighed. “Now if you’d excuse me, I have some business to attend to” he winked, picking me up. I started to regain consciousness and struggled weakly in his arms but he was too strong to fight. I gave up.

“You dare touch her in a way she wouldn’t be comfortable with, I’ll rip your head off. Asshole” Lyle growled, walking off and away from us. I whimpered and tried to grab for him but Patrique cuffed my hands together.

“You’re not going anywhere” he smirked. “Don’t bother struggling; I’m a lot stronger than you. I’m so glad that Scott took my advice and picked you. Maybe I should’ve picked you instead of walking off, such a shame to let your beauty go to waste. I shouldn’t have let Scott tell me to go away” he smiled down at me, wiping the tears away from my eyes as they spilled down my face.

Patrique must’ve been the guy in the group, and Scott must have been the one who said I wasn’t worth it and walked off. I whimpered softly as he traced circles over the S on my neck and shook at his surprisingly gentle touch. “Let me go” I managed to whisper, scrunching up my eyes.

“That’s a good idea now you mention it. We wouldn’t have to put up with your constant whining and complaining here...I could get Zach to keep an eye on you. Hmm, I suppose it could work. It’ll only work if you don’t tell anyone about this place” he mumbled to himself in thought. “My father would kill me if he found out”

“Please” I sobbed. “I just want to go home”

“I don’t see why I should keep you here, you’re marked anyway. We’ll still have to find you when it’s time for you to be sacrificed, you understand that?” he frowned, helping me up and unlocking the chains. I still felt trapped. The chains still trapped my right to freedom and right to have a life.

He handed me a bag with stuff in: clothes, pictures, makeup etc. It was everything that I would need, seeing as I would practically be living alone. He looked hurt when he realised I was hell-bent on leaving this place, and everyone here. I would finally be allowed to have control on what I did or where I went.

“I’ll miss you” he sighed. “So will Scott” he added. I shrugged and walked towards the door, making my footsteps silent. “Everyone will”

“Just let me go” I sniffed, rubbing my wrists. He sighed and took the set of keys from a heart-shaped box and opened the door, pushing it open. It was early morning and the sun was yet to rise. I looked back at him before walking out of the door into the brisk air. While I was missing, they would have to postpone the draining ceremony, because it falls exactly a week before the sacrifice ceremony.

I looked at the grass and noticed that it had a thin layer of snow over it but not enough to hide the rich green it had. The snow was melting and the droplets reflected the little light that hung in the air. The trees were bare and shook violently in the wind. I pulled my jacket close as the temperature dropped. I forgot it was winter.

I sat on the steps for a few minutes as I let myself adjust to the change in heat. I didn’t have enough money to pay for heating, so the house would be freezing and now would be a good time to get used to it. I only had a few blankets. With a sigh, I picked up my bag and walked back into civilisation. My vow of silence would be broken very soon, because no way was I going to let my friends die. If I could escape so easily, then so could they, and I could help them from the outside now.

I pushed on the door a few times before it creaked open. I walked into the sitting room and turned the light on, which was flickering. “Zach?” I shook, speaking into the shadows of the house that had been extremely messed up. I felt a breeze on the back of my neck as I placed my bag down and locked the door behind me.

I scrambled through the empty bags and ripped clothes, smashed glass and light bulbs, only to find no Zach. I shook and found a trail of dry blood on the floor, and tears welled in my eyes as lots of different possible situations ran through my head. “ZACH?”

The trail seemed to wind up the stairs, but I was still shook from finding blood. I followed it, stepping up every step slowly and quietly in case somebody had broken into the house. I felt myself cry again and I sniffed back the tears. I’m stronger than this. I kept repeating that to myself in my head, over and over in the hopes that I would realise I was a strong person.

I swallowed as I reached a shut bedroom door. I pressed my ear against the door and tried to listen for a sound, anything. Nothing. I couldn’t even hear breathing. I pushed on the doorknob but it was locked and from past experience I knew that the locks were hard to break. “Zach please” I sobbed. I grabbed a grip from my pocket and stuck it into the keyhole in an attempt to open it and pick the lock.

With a clink, it opened.

I slowly pushed the door open. My eyes widened with fear. “Zach...”