The Hunted

"Dazai-san..."

Atsushi was sobbing, his head on his paper-filled desk. "Can you please stop shoving your responsibilities on me?"

"Don't cry, Atsushi-kun. You'll wet the papers." Dazai simply answered.

"So cruel! Kunikida-san, help me!" Atsushi turned to face Kunikida, his glass eyes begging for help.

"Cut it out, Dazai! Hurry and do your work!" the annoyed Kunikida gave Dazai a good smack. The rest of the agency can only sigh and smile. The agency will surely feel different without Dazai making a scene.

Atsushi was still looking over the papers which was supposed to be Dazai's. His eyes scanned through every letter, case after case, then stopped at one which caught his attention. His face looked confused.

"Dazai-san, didn't we finish this murder case last week?" Atsushi politely gave the file back to Dazai's hands. The man only gave the papers a quick glance before throwing it back on Atsushi's startled face.

"Oh yeah, the files may not be in order. Atsushi-kun, be a good boy and tidy it up, okay?" Dazai said as he lazily lie down and roll over the sofa.

"Dazai-san..." Atsushi cried.

Kenji approached Atsushi's desk with snacks and a beverage with him. "Now, now, I brought you some snacks. Let's hope this will keep your spirit high."

"Kenji..." Atsushi was touched. The boy grabbed one of the snacks and started munching it. "Don't you want some too, Kenji-kun?"

"I can't. I need to keep my ability for the next case." Kenji answered with his bright smile.

"You're going on a mission?"

Kenji nodded. "Dazai-san asked me to accompany you with your case."

"My case?" Atsushi gulped the bite.

"Yes. The one with the hit-and-run murder."

Atsushi looked back to one of the files. It was the one which Dazai shoved onto him. The deadline was the closest. At this moment, Atsushi was just both impressed and annoyed by how Dazai has planned everything out like this.

Atsushi sighed, "Fine, I'll go."

"Good luck, Atsushi-kun!" Dazai cheered from his sofa only to rub it on Atsushi's face.

"Please work too, Dazai-san!"

"Atsushi." Ranpo called out of nowhere, catching everyone's attention. For a few seconds, he didn't say a word, his face looked serious before it loosened.

"Yes, Ranpo-san?"

"No, nothing. Just be careful." Ranpo turned around to proceed playing with his marble. Everyone was suspicious, but they paid it no more attention.

"Okay..." Atsushi replied, still very suspicious of the behavior he considered as a warning. Before long, he and Kenji has closed the door.

"Where do we go now?"

"I have the street adress here. It seems that it should be okay for us to go on foot." Kenji passed over a small flip note with more information about the case. The two walked and talked happily on the way.

+++

"How many are there?" Chuuya asked by the shadows.

"Two. The tiger and the strong kid." The voice from the ear piece replied. The mafia has positioned men all over the place to monitor their target's movements.

"Good. I'd love to give them a good beating but the boss doesn't allow that. For now, keep that moron away from the tiger. Go as we planned." Chuuya commanded. All the men obediently went in position. Chuuya turned to his new underling, "You better be ready, new guy."

"Yes, sir."

+++

"That's weird. A-are you sure it's this way, Kenji-kun?" Atsushi could feel his legs shiver. The address has lead them passed a dark hallway and now in a lonely street surrounded with abandoned buildings.

"Hmm, maybe we should ask for directions again." Kenji scratched the back of his head.

"Um, I'm afraid there's nobody here to ask..." Atsushi tiredly sighed. The two turned their heads around looking for anyone at all, only to meet with the gentle breeze brushing over their hair.

Kenji sighed, "Maybe we got the wrong address?"

"No, you are totally in the right spot."

No time was given to react. A figure from above a building shot a bullet right at Kenji, causing him to drop to the ground. Atsushi could not even turn his head to look at Kenji as he barely dodged a bullet aimed at him.

"Kenji-kun!" Atsushi tried to get close to the blond, but a round of gunshots separates them further. If Atsushi knows anything about the situation, they were surrounded.

"Just where I want you to be!"

Chuuya dropped from the sky right on Atsushi's back. His eyes widen in surprise as the weight took him down to the ground, restraining him from getting back up.

Kenji quickly recovered, but as soon as he got back up on his feet, he found himself surrounded by men armed with guns.

What's the mafia doing in here? It's almost as if...

"We've been expecting you, alright." Chuuya dropped his foot on Atsushi's head. The boy grunted as he struggled to break free. Before he got the chance to activate his ability, a tranquilizer dart poked its way on the poor boy's butt. He yelped a bit and quickly turned his hands into claws, trying to fling the mafia executive off his back. However, more tranquilizer darts found their way on the boy, rendering him helplessly unconcious.

Kenji easily knocked the men around him to make his way to Atsushi, but Chuuya was already kicking on his face, sending him all the way across the dark hall and crashed on a wall. Kenji appeared unharmed, but he's now far from his tiger friend.

"We got the target, now fall back." Chuuya commanded, Atsushi on his shoulder despite the height difference. Before long, the only one left was Kenji.

"Uh-oh." Kenji blankly stared at the spot where everyone disappeared into. The agency will not like the bad news he's about to bring.