A Call For Help

Chapter One

                                        A Call For Help

        We Psych-Os have known Lassiter as a stern, hard-core son of a bitch. But when he wants to be, he can be warm hearted. This is, of course, a rare occasion. But this side of Lassiter makes itself known when he receives an unsettling phone call.

        He was in his office when his cell phone rang. He didn't recognize the caller ID. Reluctantly, he answered.

        "Lassiter speaking." He said in a low, baritone voice.

        "Lassiter, I need your help again." It was a woman's voice. Possibly in her early thirties.

        "Who is this?" He asked.

        "Don't you remember? That murder case from 2005?" Suddenly, Lassiter remembered. He stood up in shock.

        "Clara? What happened? What's wrong?"

        "I'm in a warehouse with two strange men. I managed to grab my phone before anyone noticed. I saw a sign outside before I was dragged in here. It said 'Tech Talk'."

        "I know where that is. That's an old electronics repair store in San Fransisco."

        "Please, Carlton, can you help me?" She sobbed.

        "Don't worry. I'll find you." Suddenly, over the phone, Lassiter heard a door open.

        "What the hell do you think you're doing?" A man asked, presumably one of Clara's kidnappers.

        "No, please, I'm sorry!" He heard a gunshot, and the call suddenly ended.

        "Clara? Clara!" Lassiter was suddenly very worried. He knew Clara. A few years back, he met Clara while investigating a murder. Her husband was the victim. Just as he was pondering what he should do, his partner, Juliet, walked in.

        "Hey, Lassiter." 

        "O'Hara, I need your opinion on something." Juliet didn't really know how to respond. She'd known Lassiter for years, and not once had he asked her for her opinion.

        "Um...okay."

        "Something just came up, and I'm not sure what to do."

        "What happened?" Juliet asked, suddenly concerned. She sat down at a chair in front of his desk.

        "I just got a call, someone got kidnapped. Her name is Clara Winslow. I know her."

        "And why aren't you sure what to do?"

        "I know you know I'm a...stickler for the rules, but there's just something nagging at me, telling me I should handle this myself." Juliet thought about how she should respond.

        "Well, what do you think is the right decision?" Lassiter looked her dead in the eye. He sighed.

        "Can you run things while I'm gone?" He asked. Juliet smiled.

        "Of course."

        Lassiter was about thirty minutes away when he heard the worst hell imaginable in his back seat. Spencer.

        "Hey, Lassie?" Lassiter was so surprised, he slammed his foot down on the brake until they came to a complete stop.

        "Spencer!" Lassiter yelled.